TC40DA Power steering seals

/ TC40DA Power steering seals #1  

Anakist

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
Hi All.

My TC40DA has been leaking power steering fluid and I finally got everything together to pull the covers off and investigate while I have been servicing everything. The seal on top of the PS pump where the steering column splines engage is leaking.

Does anyone know of a parts breakdown of the Eaton Char-Lynn 291-1028-002 power steering pump? Everything in my town has shut down for NYE and I haven't found any breakdowns of the 291 series pumps yet.

If I can get seal numbers or dimensions I will just order them, otherwise I will have to pull the pump again and disassemble to take them in as samples.

Also, the gas strut lock for the steering column has stopped locking. Anyone know if anything can be done with that besides buying a new one?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20221230_143553_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221230_143553_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20221230_143613_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221230_143613_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75
   / TC40DA Power steering seals #2  
That's not the pump. That's the steering valve. Mine also leaks there and gave up trying to find that seal. My colum was filled with rust/water. I drilled a hole at the bottom of the tube the colum is made from. I also took a pick a scraped out both sides of the lip seal along with spraying brake clean behind the lip. It helped slow my leak quite a bit.

If you ever do find that seal I would like one too.

/ TC40DA Power steering seals #3  
You might try these parts. I had a TC24DA once that was leaking out the top. Kit is $190. so I ordered just the top seals and fixed the leak. I don’t know if the motor is the same series, but I’ll bet these might work. #5 is the culprit.
As nyone said, gunk builds up on top of the motor. My customer’s tractor was getting water down the column from washing the tractor.

1A - SBA334292269 seal $45.
4 - 272380 oring $5.10
5 - SBA334292268 seal $70

Attachments

• E4A27545-3C4A-46A2-BAAC-9129B0740E4B.png
    E4A27545-3C4A-46A2-BAAC-9129B0740E4B.png
    829.4 KB · Views: 71
   / TC40DA Power steering seals
That's a great help. Thanks. I got an "No component breakdown" when I was looking at the TC40DA on the parts sites.

Looks like it's a proprietary valve from Char Lynn to New Holland, according to the Eaton people I have been talking to. I have the breakdown for the Series 5 valves (which looks to be the one) but haven't looked into prices yet.

James

/ TC40DA Power steering seals #5  
James, by no means do I know whether those parts will work on yours, but it's a cheap gamble if Eaton doesn't come through.
From the information I could find on the Eaton part number for that motor, it is a Series 5, but couldn't find any part number's for such.

Eaton over here was no help. I got the official line of "its a proprietary pump so you'll have to talk to the manufacturer". I've talked to a couple of distributors down here - one an Eaton Australia Hydraulic distributor who sent me the Series 5 breakdown, one direct from Danfoss / Eaton USA who is going to get back to me.

I'll try the Eaton numbers from a local hydraulic shop if I get no love from the Danfoss people. I am sure the SBA numbers will be at least double that price from the tractor dealer.

Thanks for the help, Mate!

James

Got a quote today for a series 5 seal kit for $100AUD, and $130 freight with a 5 - 6 week wait. Not going with that. The good news is it's a series 5 pump so I can use the parts out of the breakdown I have.

James

/ TC40DA Power steering seals #8  
Can you post the part numbers for all the seals needed for the input/selector shaft?

This is all I have:

9900252-000 Seal Kit for Char-Lynn 291-1028-002 power steering unit.

Googling that number makes it a series 5 PSU. The breakdown is in the attached PDF.

Attachments

• C-STCU-TS002-E1.pdf
    811.1 KB · Views: 94