TC40DA will not come out of 4WD

/ TC40DA will not come out of 4WD #1  

DemcoEd

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
I have 2006 model TC40DA with super steer which has around 700 hours on it. I mower a steep ditch which I mow up and down and need to lock in the front axle to prevent the rear tires from sliding down the hill. The other day I did that and since then the front axle will not disegage. I disconnected the linkage and that moves freely. I tryed to move the lever that it attaches to but it won't move. I went so far as to use a very light hammer and tapped on the lever and still won't disengage. I tryed backing and several other manuvers without any success.

Any idea what needs to be done to correct this??

/ TC40DA will not come out of 4WD #2  
Jack up the front wheels and see if it will shift out then.
larry

/ TC40DA will not come out of 4WD #3  
I had trouble early on shifting out of 4WD and was advised to use the FEL to slightly lift the front wheels off the ground, then move the lever. Has worked for me every time. If the loader is off, I can usually tap the reverse pedal a couple of times (which you seem to have tried) and that works too.

But I don't have SS and that may be a factor here. Here is an old post where jinman lists some illustrations that might help you diagnose the problem - http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/188143-tc40d-no-fwd.html

Good luck,

/ TC40DA will not come out of 4WD #4  
Ed, the info Barry has given you is good and so is Larry's. You seem to be getting some driveline windup that is not being relieved. As I read your post and your personal profile, I noticed that no loader was mentioned. If you don't have a loader, the best way to relieve the tension is to jack up the front axle as Larry suggested. This is normally not needed, but if you don't use 4WD much, yours might be stiff. You might check the fluid in your SensiTrack clutch as an additional precaution. Were you in on demand (automatic) 4WD, or full-time 4WD? On demand 4WD allows the sensitrack clutch to engage/disengage 4WD, but full-time 4WD locks up the clutch. This is the position that the manuals say may need the tractor to be put in reverse to relieve the tension. Have you tried the full-time 2WD on the platform just to the left of the seat? On your tractor, this lever engages the transfer gear while the large lever on the fender engages automatic (on demand) and full-time 4WD. It was unclear to me from your description whether you were using both levers or just the one on the fender.

BTW: Be careful about putting too much force on the levers. They can and do bend pretty easy. If they bend, then the slot in the fender may be out of position for the shifting. You could end up moving the lever to the end of the slot, but because it is bent, the actual movement of the shifter in the transmission will not be fully engaged/disengaged.

/ TC40DA will not come out of 4WD #5  
I have to back mine up while turning left and right and then move the lever.

/ TC40DA will not come out of 4WD #6  
This is not unusual. I have had it happen with tractors, Jeeps, and pickups. Especially with low range in Jeeps and pickups... They just get bound up. With a tractor, using the loader to take the weight off the front tires works. Or, with tractor/Jeep/pickup, as BillBeyer posted, back up a little. I have used the turning right/left too.

For the most part though, backing up 5-10' seems to work.

/ TC40DA will not come out of 4WD #7  
On my tractors I have always been able to disengage by speeding forward then quickly letting off throttle while simultaneously operating the lever.
larry