TC45 + 8' rotary cutter?

/ TC45 + 8' rotary cutter? #21  
It may handle the cutter in lite material but it won't take long for the PTO to show its dislike in the form of gears and bearings. 45 hp is barely on the edge of 6' in grass over a foot tall.

I think you may be trying to make a variable problem fit a linear set of data.

Using your ratio #'s, then a 10' mower will require 75 hp in grass ' over a foot '

No speed is mentioned here.

I can assure you.. 75hp is not needed in every case of 1+' tall grass.

I can mow 2' grass as fast as safely possible with 70 engine hp / 67 pto hp on a 33yr old tractor.. IE.. I can't go any faster and stay in the seat.. ( 5th gear for anyone familiar with the ford 8spd tranny in the thousand series units ).

Your 'equation does not take into account the many variables at play in a mowing situation.

In some cases, I can see needing more than 75hp for a similar mower, depending on the vegitation, and terain, and speed... In many cases i see much less...

soundguy

/ TC45 + 8' rotary cutter? #22  
Does a twin spindle cutter require less horse power than a single spindle cutter of the same size? Just curious because I've been pulling an 8' twin spindle cutter with my DX45 and while I'm not setting any land speed records (full speed in low/rabit) do to the terrain, this thing spins like a top. Even in grass and weeds over 1' tall the RPM's never even start to drop. The tractor doesn't even act like its there and that's with the air condition running full blast. I just find it hard to believe that a 6' cutter is working a TC45 hard. I also used to run a 5' cutter with my DX24 and had no problems in tall or dense grass with it.

/ TC45 + 8' rotary cutter? #23  
At different times I've mowed with an 8' cutter and a 7' cutter ( neither mine ) on a case tractor ( not mine either ).. I like d the dual spindle 8' better than the single spindle 7'.. it just 'felt better. I wasn't able to drive them back to back to make a comparison... I just know that above 6' I'm not fond of the single spindle mowers...

soundguy

/ TC45 + 8' rotary cutter? #24  
so the rule of thumb for brush hog of 5hp per foot was fairly solid.

TC45 pto hp 40ish? 8*5=40....

so like many suggestions in the past, for knee high and less pastures works fine, for heavy thick tall grass take less of a cut?

seems odd when my 5' does fine behind my TC33 even up into chest high grasses. with a PTO hp of like 29. Ive said a number of times that i think i could easly handle a 6' in knee high grasses.

i thought the dual spindle 8' decks were a LOT shorter than the single spindle versions. (deck being 4+ feet deep instead of 8+ feet)

/ TC45 + 8' rotary cutter? #25  
i thought the dual spindle 8' decks were a LOT shorter than the single spindle versions. (deck being 4+ feet deep instead of 8+ feet)

Here's a couple of pictures of the twin spindle cutter I'm using. I would guess its about 4-1/2' deep. It pulls off of the draw bar and doesn't attach to the 3pt so weight is not really an issue. I would agree with others that I wouldn't want an 8' mower hanging from the 3pt of this tractor.

/ TC45 + 8' rotary cutter? #26  
A little late to post in this thread, but I just purchased a Woods C-114 mower the cutting width is 9'6" and my TC45DA runs it great.

Attachments

• F10A84C8-235C-4FF8-8DD0-9616D114C71A.jpeg
    F10A84C8-235C-4FF8-8DD0-9616D114C71A.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 48
  • 40E4E977-C002-4309-9E03-0E122862DB12.jpeg
    40E4E977-C002-4309-9E03-0E122862DB12.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 41
   / TC45 + 8' rotary cutter? #27  
I've got a 3040, a newer version of the TC40. The neighbor had a 12 ft. batwing finishing mower that he was selling since he was selling his place. I intended to fix it up and sell it since he stored it outside and it had rusted up some. I bought and got it working fine. I have been using it for about 10 years with no problem. I try not to mow anything higher than 6". I do mow my horse pastures about once a year at it's highest setting, about 6".
TBW144.jpg

/ TC45 + 8' rotary cutter? #28  
I think you may be trying to make a variable problem fit a linear set of data.

Using your ratio #'s, then a 10' mower will require 75 hp in grass ' over a foot '

No speed is mentioned here.

I can assure you.. 75hp is not needed in every case of 1+' tall grass.

I can mow 2' grass as fast as safely possible with 70 engine hp / 67 pto hp on a 33yr old tractor.. IE.. I can't go any faster and stay in the seat.. ( 5th gear for anyone familiar with the ford 8spd tranny in the thousand series units ).

Your 'equation does not take into account the many variables at play in a mowing situation.

In some cases, I can see needing more than 75hp for a similar mower, depending on the vegitation, and terain, and speed... In many cases i see much less...

soundguy

Definitely a nonlinear problem as similar reductions in width (say to 2’ for fun) would still require 20hp which we know would be grossly overpowered!