TC55 Draft Control?

/ TC55 Draft Control?
My DX is missing the draft lever, just an empty slot there. It was actually ordered at the end of Feb, and built sometime in April I think. It was delivered to the dealer in late April.
I think it is the same (similar) version as the new NH 2410. There were a lot of TC55's in the "dealer pool" in GA when I ordered my DX, but there were no DX55's. I'm assuming it was one of the first with some changes since there is a new parts list and owners manual dated 02/2007. I was afraid I would be losing some features but the draft control is the only one I've noticed and it's not an issue to me. The dealer told me there was a substantial price increase that he was eating since he quoted me the price before ordering. He was confident that Case would make good on the old price for him though.
Thanks for all the answers and pictures on this question. I appreciate the help.
I love my new DX55, and I'm surprised at the ease of operation using the EHSS. I used my old Ford 850 yesterday for the first time in a few weeks, and while it is a workhorse, it was nice to park it and get back on the 55. Wow what a difference!

/ TC55 Draft Control? #12  
Diesel-ME said:
Same deal on the TC55

~paul

Yea, If you look at a TC55's chassis and a 2120 they even appear to be the same castings. Even the toolboxes mounted betwen the fenders are identical.

The 2120 was one of Ford / New Holland's best and longest selling tractors and many dealers told then not to mess it up. For a couple of years the TC line was missing a larger frame tractor until the TC48/55 cane out.

Andy

Andy

/ TC55 Draft Control? #13  
AndyMA said:
Yea, If you look at a TC55's chassis and a 2120 they even appear to be the same castings. Even the toolboxes mounted betwen the fenders are identical.

The 2120 was one of Ford / New Holland's best and longest selling tractors and many dealers told then not to mess it up. For a couple of years the TC line was missing a larger frame tractor until the TC48/55 cane out.

Andy

Andy

Well hopefully the T24xx series will continue the tradition then..... the wealth of knowledge that builds over time a such a long-lived platform certainly comes in handy!!

Interesting that they went from 21xx to TCxx to 24xx.... I always like the horsepower related nomenclature, but at least the recent naming convention has some basis in history.....

~paul

~paul

/ TC55 Draft Control? #14  
I have a DX55, but its a 2004 model. I have the draft control lever exactly as shown in the pdf file in a previous post.

Thats a pretty beefy tractor, i cannot imagine making a draft control "optional" on it.

/ TC55 Draft Control?
agford4x4 said:
I have a DX55, but its a 2004 model. I have the draft control lever exactly as shown in the pdf file in a previous post.

Thats a pretty beefy tractor, i cannot imagine making a draft control "optional" on it.
Draft control is no longer available on the 55 series. The NH specs list the 2410 and 2420 as "position control only", with no option to add it. My DX55 is the new version, built after 2/07, and came w/o draft control.
Funny thing was, my salesman told me it wouldn't have draft control. I corrected him by showing him the lastest literature in January. He was surprised, saying many models have dropped it. So I order the tractor in 2/07 and it was delivered in 5/07 without draft control.

/ TC55 Draft Control? #16  
Alot of bigger farmer's these day's dont plow up there ground they no till due to soil conservation. But most of us with this size tractor will be breaking garden's and such. I havn't used my draft controll and may never use it much with this tractor i am going to try it with the harley rake though. But when we used to plow every year or so to plant crop's from the 8n to the old major we used the draft controll it worked good with the ground we had.
The position controll on my tc40d worked fine for the harley rake and box blade if you set it at the hight you wanted it held it there. I looked up the tractor on the NH parts website for the lift controll it shows the same for both and new and didnt offer a draft kit i could find for the new ones.
I have better controll with these new tractor's lifts than the older one's and can move alot more dirt around quicker. So much that what it took all day with the 8n i can do in a couple of hour's. Which make's it hard for me to judge what to charge to fix the yard.:confused:

/ TC55 Draft Control? #17  
I'm new to all this tractor stuff. Would someone be willing to explain to me what draft control is? I feel so dumb compared to the knowledge you guys have! I hope someday I will have some knowledge to share on tractors.

Jim

/ TC55 Draft Control? #18  
Draft control senses the amount of strain that your tractor is being subjected to when pulling ground engaging equipment, like a plow or sub-soiler. If the strain on the tractor exceeds a predetermined amount, the draft control will automatically raise the implement just enough to restore normal loading of the tractor. After you get past the hard spot in the field, the draft control automatically returns the implement to the pre-selected depth.

Without draft control in those tough spots, the natural tendency is for the implement to continue digging lower into the ground until the tractor either loses traction or runs out of power. Having draft control eliminates the need to constantly readjust your position controls, raising and lowering the implement by small amounts, as ground conditions vary throughout the field.

Depending upon the type of soil conditions you encounter, some have problems just getting the equipment to dig deep enough into the ground. Extra weight on your implement is the answer for that problem as the position control simply allows the implement to lower to a selected depth by it's own weight and not hyd pressure. Draft control just prevents your tractor from bogging down or spinning its wheels when soil conditions try to "suck" your implement too deep.

As has already been mentioned, it's an option for some of our tractors (like mine). If you're not planning on pulling any ground engaging equipment in tough soil conditions then draft control is not needed. Also, many prefer gear driven tractors to HST type if doing a lot of ground engaging work, the HST's lose some HP at the drawbar where the gear driven tractors don't. This doesn't mean you can't use HST driven tractors for ground ops though.

EDIT:
OBTW, unclebean.... Welcome to TBN! (and please update your profile when you have a chance so we know more about you and your equipment/ conditions.) Thanks

Last edited:
   / TC55 Draft Control? #19  
MadDogDriver said:
Draft control senses the amount of strain that your tractor is being subjected to when pulling ground engaging equipment, like a plow or sub-soiler. If the strain on the tractor exceeds a predetermined amount, the draft control will automatically raise the implement just enough to restore normal loading of the tractor. After you get past the hard spot in the field, the draft control automatically returns the implement to the pre-selected depth.

Without draft control in those tough spots, the natural tendency is for the implement to continue digging lower into the ground until the tractor either loses traction or runs out of power. Having draft control eliminates the need to constantly readjust your position controls, raising and lowering the implement by small amounts, as ground conditions vary throughout the field.

Depending upon the type of soil conditions you encounter, some have problems just getting the equipment to dig deep enough into the ground. Extra weight on your implement is the answer for that problem as the position control simply allows the implement to lower to a selected depth by it's own weight and not hyd pressure. Draft control just prevents your tractor from bogging down or spinning its wheels when soil conditions try to "suck" your implement too deep.

As has already been mentioned, it's an option for some of our tractors (like mine). If you're not planning on pulling any ground engaging equipment in tough soil conditions then draft control is not needed. Also, many prefer gear driven tractors to HST type if doing a lot of ground engaging work, the HST's lose some HP at the drawbar where the gear driven tractors don't. This doesn't mean you can't use HST driven tractors for ground ops though.

EDIT:
OBTW, unclebean.... Welcome to TBN! (and please update your profile when you have a chance so we know more about you and your equipment/ conditions.) Thanks

Thank you! I expected draft control to be something totally different than what it is!

/ TC55 Draft Control? #20  
unclebean said:
Thank you! I expected draft control to be something totally different than what it is!

Yea that's right, you were born after they quit drafting us....:D :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Always gotta give the engineers a little jab. (I have an engineering degree, but don't hold a candle to the real engineers, especially many here in TBN land.) Gotta be careful with this, because we could start a whole new forum with just engineering jokes.

Welcome again. Look'n forward to see what you end up with to work your land in beautiful PA.