TC55DA/DX55

/ TC55DA/DX55
im going to do that first. They will probably do that anyway. The rod is not bent. IS it true that there is not really anything that can go bad in that system otherwise and result in a partially working power steering? If the oil filter doesnt fix it, I hate to take it in since it might not be recognized. I noticed it because i use the tractor all the time. The steering works, it just feels a little stiff. They will charge 200 bucks just to haul it there, and ill be pissed if they dont find an issue. :/

Any reason not to just use it like crazy and see what happens over the next hundred hours? If its a problem, should it get worse? Is the steering system completely independant of the rest of the tractor hydraulics?

Last edited:
   / TC55DA/DX55 #12  
I'd verify that everything is o.k. no leaking anything, oil up to the mark, rod straight, no binding of anything etc. and run it. The steering is independent. It has it's own pump and reservoir and oil.

/ TC55DA/DX55
Ive looked it over really well. Nothing is bent, no leaks, no kinked or bent hoses. Everything looks fantastic on the outside. With only 450 hours, I wouldnt expect an internal failure. Ill change the filter, but I dont hold much hope of that solving anything.

/ TC55DA/DX55 #14  
I cannot imagine that you'll find anything wrong with the filter or fluid either. Do you realize that the whole body of your reservoir unscrews from the base and the whole container is actually also a filter. The cost is pretty steep. I admit that I've never changed mine in the 1700+ hours on my tractor and the fluid still looks fine.

Have you read the posts on TBN about the TC55DA that were common a few years back? A search should turn up several posts about the quirks of the power steering system. Sometimes it will stall under load and be hard until you get going. Other folks have said that after a stall it will be harder to steer for awhile. Your symptoms sound pretty similar. I've noticed my TC45D is sluggish under a heavy load on the FEL before I get moving, but it works fine when I start rolling. Your post made me think it was something more because you problem seemed to persist. Now, with your description, I'm thinking your problem may be similar to the ones reported before.

/ TC55DA/DX55
But it does persist. Its still doing it. It hasn't gotten any better. Im wondering if the cylinder or steering gears have lost an internal seal and it blowing past. I know about the steering stalling. Im familiar with that. Mine is stiff even when rolling. In fact, the steering feels exactly the same whether the front wheels are off the ground or whether your driving it. A bit odd. Its probably time to go back to the dealer service. Thought about getting a service manual to keep the stealership out of it, but for what im seeing the service manual go for, i figure ill just let them pick it up and deal with it. Id like to find the steering portion of the service manual and thumb through it.

Wondering if it couldn't be the relief valve in the manifold. Since the steering works, but is just a little stiffer than normal, Its almost like something controlling the pressure just gave out or is no longer in spec. Is the pressure adjustable on it? Could a faulty o-ring in the steering piston on the axle cause this internally?

Last edited:
   / TC55DA/DX55 #16  
Your steering motor could be out of alignment. The relief pressure could be wrong (too low). The steering cylinder could have an internal leak, and you could have a faulty steering pump that is not producing enough pressure/flow. The problem is that without the proper test gage and equipment, you are just guessing; expensive guessing. I still think your dealer's shop is the best bet, but you may be able to tolerate the problem for awhile until you can get the tractor to the shop.

/ TC55DA/DX55 #17  
seems like you are back to square one.

/ TC55DA/DX55
Yup. But, I think im going to have to use it as is for now. You guys are right. Its expensive guessing. I think the shop is the best place for it unfortunately. I can throw a lot of money at it guessing.