TC55DA - Where is 18LA loader hydr. pressure adjusted?

/ TC55DA - Where is 18LA loader hydr. pressure adjusted? #1  

Osconda

Silver Member
Texas, Williamson County (aka Texas Hill Country)
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA, delivered 05/25/2005
Took my tractor in last year while still under warranty because one of the loader hydraulic cylinders failed. They replaced it, no problem. The mechanic told me he backed off the hydraulic pressure some so the cylinders wouldn't fail again. Since that time, I've noticed my lift capacity has been reduced.

I could load up my bucket and raise it to full height for loading a dump truck. I can no longer do that and it lifts slower. Now I have to take 3/4 of a bucket load.

Anybody know what the pressure specs are and where the adjustment is? I don't want to set beyond spec., just want to verify it's at least set to what it should be and adjust accordingly.

Thanks for you input.

/ TC55DA - Where is 18LA loader hydr. pressure adjusted? #2  
The pressure is adjust for the entire primary hydrolics on the tractor... no just the FEL.

There is a thread or to floating around with pics of the offending port, if memory serves its on the right side of the tractor with a pic of a book next to it.

ITs some sort of bypass pressure thingie that you put washers under to increase/decrease pressure (preload on the spring)

TO find out what the pressure is, you need to plumb a gauge into the system so you can see what pressure its going into bypass at and you can adjust from there.

to me it sounded like a mechanic makeing an adjustment to avoid having to fix addtional hoses under warentee

/ TC55DA - Where is 18LA loader hydr. pressure adjusted? #3  
Relief valve is probably what has been adjusted.

Depending on the plumbing of the machine.. could be overall relief.. or if the loader SCV's ahve a relief built in.. could be there.

Plumb a gauge into a remote and see what you get there.. if it is about 2500.. then overall system pressure is good ( check you manual to make sure you'rs is 2500.. I'm going off what my 7610s uses.. etc ).. Then plumb the valve in on a loader circuit and test it..

Valve may have been unshimmed to make it relieve easier.. or if it is a screw set type.. screw pressure may have been backed off. i'm not familiar with your specific machines hyds.. etc.

Soundguy

/ TC55DA - Where is 18LA loader hydr. pressure adjusted?
Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can take a few pictures of what might be likely candidates. Maybe that will be a good place to start.

schmism,

Finally got around to taking a picture. Kind of looks like what you described earlier. See pic.

I assume it involves turning the big bolt on the side. Anybody know the details on this? Turn clockwise? counterclockwise? Anybody know what the adjustment on the bottom is for?

Attachments

• hyd_adj_tc55da.jpg
    hyd_adj_tc55da.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 410
   / TC55DA - Where is 18LA loader hydr. pressure adjusted? #6  
I am almost positive from looking at it that, that is a relief valve you will need to shim.
Normally a relief valve that you just screw in or out to adjust will have a jam nut or something simular to lock them from loosening.

Pull that big one out and take a pic and post it. (be prepared to catch the oil)

Brian

/ TC55DA - Where is 18LA loader hydr. pressure adjusted? #7  
Don't turn that bolt clockwise!! As cobra said, it's not a adjustable knob. It's a cap. Loosen it and there is a spring pack and shims underneath. Add a shim to increase pressure. I'd check the pressure first. My loader has a adjustable relief as well as the same diverter block like yours.

/ TC55DA - Where is 18LA loader hydr. pressure adjusted? #8  
Item #12 are the shims.

Attachments

• Diverter block.pdf
    46.8 KB · Views: 381
shaley,

Thanks for the blow-out drawing. The shimms look like nothing more than some flat washers. Anything special about the shimms? Think it's something I should get at the dealer or can I improvise?

Will I only lose the oil in this contraption or will the hydr. lines also get drained?

/ TC55DA - Where is 18LA loader hydr. pressure adjusted? #10  
Nothing too special but they are steel about 0.010 thick and soft stuff like brass will get beaten to death. Not much oil comes out when the cap is removed (tractor off of course) just keep the area clean as grit will cut the o-ring. Tell the dealer you want the shim back that he removed.

Also, like Sounguy said, have you checked the loader valve for it's own relief valve?