TD75D Starter Issues

/ TD75D Starter Issues #1  

downslope

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF TO-35, Ford(s) 2000, 8N, 9N, White 2-70, NH TD75D, JD 5045D
I think I need to replace or repair the starter on my TD75. It's been acting up for the past year, where i would need to turn the key to start several times before it turns over. Eventually the key switch failed for the start circuit. But I was able to start it by jumping from the battery positive to the terminal on the solenoid where the key circuit attaches. Even then it would sometimes take several tries and to my estimation the solenoid coils were drawing too much current; a big spark and the #10 jumper wire I was using would actually get hot to touch after several attempts, probably what fried the key switch. Anyway, now it's completely dead, won't crank even if I jump with a heavy cable directly to the starter.

I now have the starter off the tractor.

So my choices, new starter from New Holland ~$600, Chinese starter from eBay ~$200, or try to have mine rebuilt locally if I can find a shop recommended by mechanic friends. Or maybe combination of last 2, buy the China starter and have mine rebuilt and keep one on the shelf as a spare. It's a little hard to access as there is a loader mount on the tractor and fuel filter is somewhat in the way.

What do you think, want to get this done before cold weather and snow?

/ TD75D Starter Issues #2  
I took my Mitsubishi starter to a starter shop. It had a bad spring in the Bendix. He said there was no way to repair it and a new Bendix would be about $70 as I recall. After I decided I could go with that he volunteered he could get a whole new starter complete with Bendix For $125 or $150 or something like that. I bought the starter and lived happily ever after. By the way, the starter was from Mexico.

/ TD75D Starter Issues #3  
I bought one of the Chinese starters from dB electrical on eBay. 3 yrs and going strong. At the time I think it was less than 150.

/ TD75D Starter Issues #4  
What I got with one was a bad ground.
I had to lenthen the groundcable from the bat to the starter and mount it to thestartermounting bolts !

/ TD75D Starter Issues
I bought one of the Chinese starters from dB electrical on eBay. 3 yrs and going strong. At the time I think it was less than 150.
OK, Dwayne I've got one coming from eBay DB Electric today. Name on UPS says shipper is J&N Auto in Cincinnati, OH. I guess we shall see, hope I have as good luck as you. I will check ground surfaces, but don't think that was the problem.

/ TD75D Starter Issues #6  
Good luck. I think you'll be happy.
OK, Dwayne I've got one coming from eBay DB Electric today. Name on UPS says shipper is J&N Auto in Cincinnati, OH. I guess we shall see, hope I have as good luck as you. I will check ground surfaces, but don't think that was the problem.