Teach me how to drive a power shuttle.

/ Teach me how to drive a power shuttle. #11  
When you get the tractor, the dealer should go through the details of the best way to manage the shuttle, but I think its important to always remember that the nicer you are to the machine, the longer it will last. When shuttling from F-R, always pause in neutral and ideally have the tractor stopped before moving to the opposite direction. Using the clutch to stop a couple of tons of tractor moving in the wrong direction and then lurch forward in the right direction is a lot more load and wear and tear than just starting the tractor moving forwards from rest.
On my Kioti I find that I use the F-R shuttle a lot for straightforward tasks and shuttling when loading, etc, but when doing something like backing the slasher up to an obstacle, use the foot clutch both for fine control and because when facing backwards, I am so twisted in the seat watching it is difficult to hold the wheel and reach the shuttle lever. Sounds like it should be easy, but it's not!
When working up gears on the move, I have found it best to change with the foot clutch as you can control the engagement better.
RTFM and talk with the dealer is good, concise advice!
Good luck with the new tractor! Mort

/ Teach me how to drive a power shuttle. #12  
While I don't own a hydraulic shuttle system I have operated them. From 35hp up to 300hp.

I still use the clutch. When digging I can step on a clutch before I can grab the hand lever. Hand maybe on other side of wheel and foot is always by clutch. I've found that most movements are a lot jerkier trying to use the reverser handle.

Baling hay. Step on clutch and brakes at buzzer and tractor stops. Grab reverse and slowly backup while baler ties. Open gate and shift to forward while bale is rolling out. Drop gate and continue. Never change a gear other than direction.

For general take offs I'll use the hand lever. Or when stopping and I have room.

/ Teach me how to drive a power shuttle.
Thanks for all the tips gentlemen. I appreciate your experiences. I am looking forward to getting the tractor and getting the feel of it. I will post a new thread with my impressions and any questions once I've had it for a little while.

/ Teach me how to drive a power shuttle. #14  
Ramses,
Are you keeping the 3520? That would help with the close work.

I am planning to sell the 3520. I thought about keeping it but I have a family member who is interested in buying it. My wife, who drives the tractor quite a bit (she loves to brush hog some other pastures we have) is nervous about driving the bigger tractor. I think she will take to the Kubota just fine - especially the cab with air conditioning and the radio playing!

/ Teach me how to drive a power shuttle. #16  
I am planning to sell the 3520. I thought about keeping it but I have a family member who is interested in buying it. My wife, who drives the tractor quite a bit (she loves to brush hog some other pastures we have) is nervous about driving the bigger tractor. I think she will take to the Kubota just fine - especially the cab with air conditioning and the radio playing!

The only thing I might suggest is that your wife practice with the geared tractor quite a bit before taking on a large and independent job. It is not as simple as lifting your foot from the HST pedal (as you know).

My wife operates the HST BX2200 hogging and flail mowing large areas and even the L48 TLB on occasion. But the gear driven M7040 will keep doing what it is doing without some quick and coordinated actions. She is not confident on non-HST large machines and I am not confident in letting her operate it. Not knowing your wife, this all may not apply.

That's good advice gwdixon. I will take her out to a large open area to learn until she is comfortable. She grew up driving manual transmission cars and even yet today, when she could drive anything she wants, she drives a 6 speed Volkswagen Jetta. I am confident that she will get the hang of it quickly. Most of the delicate, more precise work will still be done by me.

/ Teach me how to drive a power shuttle. #18  
I think its important to always remember that the nicer you are to the machine, the longer it will last. When shuttling from F-R, always pause in neutral and ideally have the tractor stopped before moving to the opposite

Exactly !! Well said

/ Teach me how to drive a power shuttle. #19  
I had a 7060. I shifted thru gears with the clutch. Come to a stop to change from low to high range. You can go from f to r and back without the clutch, on the go, and supposedly at any rpm, but the kubota's shift is pretty rapid, so I got used to feathering the clutch during the shift to ease the tire spin. Really depends on what you are doing at the time and rpms. Just went to an 85 Deere and the shift is a lot smoother but the additional travel distance before the shift as to now be accounted for. In short, it will take some practice to see what fits what you are doing.

/ Teach me how to drive a power shuttle. #20  
Congrats on your new tractor!!!