Teaching Mowing

/ Teaching Mowing #11  
I have mine driving the kawasaki mule ,can't cut her foot off with that.

/ Teaching Mowing #12  
I always did all the mowing when my kids were growing up. Mowers are just too dangerous for kids in my opinion.

/ Teaching Mowing
I think it will be a while before I let her mow when I'm not right there with her.

/ Teaching Mowing #14  
Checking the old photo album, I guess I started a little earlier than that...

Attachments

• PANZER2jpg.jpg
    PANZER2jpg.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 124
   / Teaching Mowing #15  
I didn't have a riding mower while teaching my kids to mow and at 8 or so they were mowing, I was driving a tractor by that time pulling a corn or cotton trailer. With my grand kids, I have started them off on a Mule or by driving the mower around without engaging the blade until they could operate it safely.

Kids vary in mental and physical maturity and this is more important in judging readiness than chronological age.

/ Teaching Mowing #16  
My daughter started mowing about 1.5 acres when she was 12. Did a good job the first time. The following week I went to check the oil and the hood came off in my hand. She hit something. 2 piece hood kit and decals for JD 275: $500.

I never told her. It's worth way more to me to not mow around the house!!

/ Teaching Mowing #17  
With my grand kids, I have started them off on a Mule or by driving the mower around without engaging the blade until they could operate it safely.

Kids vary in mental and physical maturity and this is more important in judging readiness than chronological age.
+1 Some don't have the aptitude or focus to be mowing at 18, others do at 8.

/ Teaching Mowing #18  
I wouldn't worry about the lawn condition so much as the dangers of falling off, rolling it over, hands caught under the deck, fueling it, friends riding along with he, or a fire. If she is taught how to think and react to these issues, it will pay off latter when its time to drive a car.

Show her what happens when a shirt or jacket gets caught in the mower blades. It will be eye opening.

This reminds me of an old Farside cartoon showing an angry man standing on his porch with a newspaper in his hand, scolding his pet dog about the dog's completed lawn mowing operation. It's got quite a few missed spots, "You call that mowing the lawn? Bad dog"!

Hope I don't have to splane that to anyone. If I do, I'll reply with a joke about the worst dog argument between 2 friends....

/ Teaching Mowing #19  
With all of todays safety features how to you keep the blades running and put your hands under the mower? Well unless you have bypassed them.

My nephew came over and wanted to mow the yard. I still have the safety swtich in the seat and he was just barley heavy enough to keep it closed. Problem was every time he hit a bump the blades would turn off. We eventually tought him to pay attention and how to re-engage the blades. Wasn't the best job in the world but he had fun.

I think I was about 10 when I started. This was big deal because it meant an increase in my allowence. At first I was only allowed to mow with the rider and my bother had to trim around the trees with the push mower. This was before string trimmers. The first couple of years it was ok, but when I got older it was work. After I was 16 I had friends who could get beer every now and then. Every time I wanted to "sleep in" dad always insisted that the yard be mowed at 08:00 that morning. Sixteen, hung-over and a riding mower is not a good combo, but a great lesson in life.

Wedge

/ Teaching Mowing #20  
With all of todays safety features how to you keep the blades running and put your hands under the mower? Well unless you have bypassed them.

My nephew came over and wanted to mow the yard. I still have the safety swtich in the seat and he was just barley heavy enough to keep it closed. Problem was every time he hit a bump the blades would turn off. We eventually tought him to pay attention and how to re-engage the blades. Wasn't the best job in the world but he had fun.

I think I was about 10 when I started. This was big deal because it meant an increase in my allowence. At first I was only allowed to mow with the rider and my bother had to trim around the trees with the push mower. This was before string trimmers. The first couple of years it was ok, but when I got older it was work. After I was 16 I had friends who could get beer every now and then. Every time I wanted to "sleep in" dad always insisted that the yard be mowed at 08:00 that morning. Sixteen, hung-over and a riding mower is not a good combo, but a great lesson in life.

Wedge

I dont have kids yet but the two mowers i have dont have safty switches one is from the 80s and dosent have one, the other in from the 90's and all the electronics are disconected b/c it was free and the original owner started tearing it off because it had a short in it. He did not know much about mechanics so i got it free to use on the farm 3-5 times a year when i go to cut grass, carb was clogged with cystalized fuel and i just disconected the switch and cut the wires for the lights off and jumed it and it runs and cuts like a dream, although the carb needs to be soaked but once running and blades engaged its perfect.