Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #21  
Good for you I have tried to get my wife just move the tractor 2ft ,while setting idling, won't even come close to getting on tractor....On other hand one of my aunts, one of my wifes' aunt and a well known woman in our area ,could and did out perform there husbands on any of there farm eqpt.

So watch out maybe as I read here you may be in doing dishes , cooking and ironing and watching JOHNS OTHER WIFE (SOAPS)

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #22  
True story, when I bought my Kubota L4400, my wife came along to "help" with the purchase. The owner of the dealership was quite impressed that she was showing such an interest in tractors. He was even more impressed when she asked to drive the L4400 around his lot. She maneuvered the tractor like a pro, moving expertly out of the way when a UPS truck came into the lot for a delivery.
It was only after all the paperwork had been signed that she told him she was legally blind and had left her guide dog at home, so she wouldn't worry him. It took him awhile to respond! And sure, I knew what was coming all along....but I learned long ago to just get out of the way.

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #23  
I showed my wife how to operate the BX22 front loader and rotary cutter.. Now all I get to do is the REAL work..:mad:

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #24  
I might let my 11 yo son drive my TN-70 before I let my wife drive it. God Bless her, but just not mechanically inclined like the boy...:D

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #25  
My wife is retiring soon and wants to learn how to operate our JD 5103 tractor, almost exclusively for bushogging about 30 acres, with trees scattered throughout. Other than me showing her the controls and having her read the operation manuals, is there any other resource around for this sort of thing? Of course safety is a prime consideration.

Careful, some have actually ended up having to buy a second tractor.:D

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #26  
I might let my 11 yo son drive my TN-70 before I let my wife drive it. God Bless her, but just not mechanically inclined like the boy...:D

Most people i know were driving tractors solo by the time they were 9 or 10 and my father has photos of me combining when i was 11 but i do remember when my mother was learning to drive a 100hp tractor with no cab discing , She'd been fine all morning with someone riding with her but the first pass solo she got it upside down in a ditch when turning. Now shes driving the 300hp tractors cultivating behind the combines, I like to have CB radio's in every piece of equipment so if she's ever in trouble one of the boys can talk her through it....It usualy works.

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #27  
I wish my wife would help with my projects; but I get the sullen teenager look from her when I ask for help, so I don't.

Therefore I'm glad she has no interest in my tractors or my truck.

Also I'm a lousy teacher and I don't need another headache.

Good luck and make sure she stocks the refrigerator with your favorite brew for you to consume after the machines are shut off for the day.

I don't envy you.

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #28  
I'm going through it with my wife now and she's a "Townie girl" so it's completely alien to her and i think information sinks in better with my 9 year old..It's an expensive process but it beats hiring a man eventually...It's when she comes back to the yard and says "Somethin sounds funny" and you're looking at 000's of $ in repairs and picking hydro poles out of machinery for a while thats hard..?

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #29  
I dont think I have to worry about my wife and my tractor. She even hates to drive my truck. I have had her on the riding lawn mower a time of two but she prefers to let the grandkids mow while she watches. Some women are just more at home INSIDE the house than in the field and there is nothing wrong with that. Besides, our farm place has too much to look out for, ie lots of random trees, 2 ponds, several straight bank ditches that are 8-10 feet deep in spots and so many spring feed soft spots, I would probably spend more time pulling her out of the swamps than her driving the tractor.

/ Teaching Wife to Operate Tractor #30  
Check with your local 4-H office. I took a youngster last year to the tractor safety course and it was quite informative. I have been driving them since I was small and learned a few things at the course!!