Tedder tires/wheels

/ Tedder tires/wheels #1  

nwut05

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland T-1510, T 4.75
Hello again, The time of year when maintenance on the farm is in full swing due to weather. I have came across an idea and want some opinions/suggestions. I have a Walton 2 basket tedder and it's old but still serves me well. i keep it greased oil checked and tines replaced whatever it needs However, for the past couple of years it seems i am always airing up the tires. I've tried fix a flat slime and with the exception of a tube i am just tired of dealing with this. I am thinking about Modifying/changing the wheel tire set up to the rotary cutter type tires. I may even be able to make them spin/swivel with change of direction just like they do on the Bush hogs with a little hillbilly engineering. at the least i have to get new tires for the tedder because the ones that are there are dry rotted and this is't helping my situation. Any thoughts on this idea? anybody done it?

/ Tedder tires/wheels #2  
I don't know that you would want to go with a tire that skinny on a tedder as it might be inclined to rut up your hay field. Generally speaking tedders have wideish and smoothish tires on them.
I am not sure how your tires mounted, but you might look for a set of flat free zero turn mower front tires that you could put on it.
Something like this might also work: 12.5x5.-8 Bolt-On Solid Wheel | Semi-Pneumatic Wheels | Wheel | Wheels | www.surpluscenter.com

Aaron Z

/ Tedder tires/wheels
I don't know that you would want to go with a tire that skinny on a tedder as it might be inclined to rut up your hay field. Generally speaking tedders have wideish and smoothish tires on them.
I am not sure how your tires mounted, but you might look for a set of flat free zero turn mower front tires that you could put on it.
Something like this might also work: 12.5x5.-8 Bolt-On Solid Wheel | Semi-Pneumatic Wheels | Wheel | Wheels | www.surpluscenter.com

Aaron Z

Hey thanks for the reply My tedder tires are 3.50 x 6 so they aren't that wide anyway and its a 3pt pick up type so you pick it up to make a turn but the suggestion of the wider tires will be taken into consideration.

/ Tedder tires/wheels
   / Tedder tires/wheels #6  
The other problem with a bush hog wheel is that the edges are sharp, so when you turn, it will tend to dig in if you don't lift it up (unless its on a swivel).

Aaron Z