Telescoping PTO Shaft: Which end to tractor?

/ Telescoping PTO Shaft: Which end to tractor? #31  
With reference to MBTRAC's excellent post above - I think those are also good arguments for installing the slip clutch on the tractor end, not the implement end, since this will lessen shock on the driveline as well as on the implement.

/ Telescoping PTO Shaft: Which end to tractor? #32  
Don't listen to him. He lives on the underside of the world. Everything is backwards down there. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So can you help me with a few simple questions which I can't seem to find answers for "DownUnder" & advise on my tractors:

1. Refer Photo 3 -Which is the front & which is the back of these tractors ( there's a 3PL, remotes & a PTO at both ends which makes it confusing, especially when running a baler & hay rake. The PTO's also spin in opposite directions & not always at the same time is this correct? )
2. Refer Photo 1 -Will putting a loader on the rear end ( then again it may be the front end) does it make the tractor go backwards ?
3..Refer Photo 2 - Will mounting this rear end loader on the front end make the tractor go forward or backwards & which direction shoudl it be used ?
4. Refer Photo 3 - Which direction they will go with dozer blade on the front & a loader on the rear, or have I erroneously mounted a rear dozer blade on the front & a front end loader on the rear ?
5. How can I identify if it's a rear end loader or a front end loader when it's not on the tractor (ditto for the dozer blade - sorry can't provide a photo with the loaders off the tractors as I need to know before I remove them so they're not mixed up) ?
6. As the steering wheel, seat & controls I think rotate/swing 180degress which direction is it best to face ? Then again it could just be the engine is moving around, as sometimes I see the engine is behind me, whilst at other times I find the engine has moved out in front of me, so maybe I should be asking where is it best to put the engine ? I've noticed a lot of tractors seem to keep their engines at the front now, is this because people don't know how to reverse their engine or do they take the easy way out & fire up the engine cylinders in reverse order to have the same number of gears to drive backwards?
7. Is it best to rotate the steering wheel or engine 180degrees to the left or right to change direction ? And when I subsequently engage reverse gears should my tractors go in the opposite direction to the way the steering is facing & when I engage forward gears should it go in the direction the steering wheel is facing?
:D:laughing::thumbsup::drink:

Hey I also notice you run a few Kubota's - Are they grey market machines with the steering box on the right hand side, or are they genuine made for the US market machines with the steering box on the left hand side ?

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 141
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 130
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 170
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 135
   / Telescoping PTO Shaft: Which end to tractor? #34  
With reference to MBTRAC's excellent post above - I think those are also good arguments for installing the slip clutch on the tractor end, not the implement end, since this will lessen shock on the driveline as well as on the implement.
Two arguments against:
1. Safety, especially if it's not fully shrouded. Way too many spinning protrusions way to close to the operator position
2. Versatility/practicality. Slip clutch release points are adjusted to the implement, not to the tractor. Should the slip clutch be mounted on the tractor end, it would have to be readjusted each time it was attached to a different PTO powered implement.

//greg//

/ Telescoping PTO Shaft: Which end to tractor? #36  
You boy's are having way too much FUN with this

/ Telescoping PTO Shaft: Which end to tractor? #37  
I haven't looked at any of my other pto shafts, but like I said on my phd, a woods phd35, the inner shaft connects to the tractor end. There's no way for me to connect the outer shaft to the tractor as it is shear pinned to the phd gear box. So back to what others have said, some pto shafts will only work one way and others will work either way.

/ Telescoping PTO Shaft: Which end to tractor? #38  
Makes sense on a PHD, it's one of the few implements with a PTO shaft that operates and/or stores with the implement end higher than the tractor end. Like I said before, having the outer section on the normally high end helps keep moisture from getting between the male/female halves.

//greg//

/ Telescoping PTO Shaft: Which end to tractor? #39  
Some interesting points. I looked at mine just now, both the winch (Norse 290) and the rotary cutter (Land Pride RCR 1860) have the female end at the tractor. With the RC you have no choice, the slip clutch end has a smooth bore with a hole drilled through it for the input shaft on the cutter. The winch will go either way, but the locking mechanisms are different, the tractor end has the pull-type collar, the winch end has the push button type.

As far as torque and loading is concerned, I don't see the difference from end to end to be honest. 100 HP and 200 ft-lb of torque are the same at either end of the shaft, it is a transfer mechanism, not a torque converter.

Sean

/ Telescoping PTO Shaft: Which end to tractor? #40  
As far as torque and loading is concerned, I don't see the difference from end to end to be honest. 100 HP and 200 ft-lb of torque are the same at either end of the shaft, it is a transfer mechanism, not a torque converter.
Sean

Well, someone had to say it.
I wouldn't worry about water getting into the shaft's spline or square as much as grit getting in there. Water is transitory, and a well greased spline would shed it somewhat. Not so sure about sand or dirt, and wear is forever. There are reasons to go one way or the other. Different streaks for different freaks, I guess. Gotta go look at my truck's front drive shaft now.