Oil & Fuel Tell diesel and gas apart ?

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #21  
If your nose works OK the easiest way to tell would be to smell what's in your lawn mower, weed wacker or gas powered car and then do a "test" sniff of your fuel cans. The one that smells like the other is gas. Gas and diesel have two very different smell. Gas fumes also tend to be very hard on the nose if you know what I mean. You will pull your nose away from the gas can very quickly as it will leave a burning sensation. Diesel fuel doesn't burn the nose like gas does.

You may also find that your diesel fuel is a different color. It can come in many different colors these day's. Natural color is a straw color, it can be green (like it is in my area) which comes from the additives put in by the distribution points or it can be red if it's dyed off road diesel fuel.

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #22  
I probably should have my son-in-law read this.
He put 5 gallons of my diesel (from a blue can labeled diesel) into his Buick. He said that it didn't run too good.
I'm sure glad that he didn't put gasoline in my tractor. It's off limit's to him!

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #23  
Pour one in a gasoline engine tank. If it keeps running without belching smoke you know the other other can is diesel.

If there is lots of smoke you know the other can is gasoline.

Empirical test!!:D :D :D

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #24  
Billfrommich,

(nice game Sunday with lions kicking some bear tail!)

Some people just are not equipped to survive in the modern world....

jb

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #25  
DieselPower said:
You may also find that your diesel fuel is a different color. It can come in many different colors these day's. Natural color is a straw color, it can be green (like it is in my area) which comes from the additives put in by the distribution points or it can be red if it's dyed off road diesel fuel.
Dyed on road diesel is also red .

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #26  
bcarwell said:
Doofus question: I filled two gas cans one with diesel and one with gas, and now I can't remember which is which.

Could somebody please tell this idiot a few easy very reliable ways to test which is which ? I couldn't see much color difference. And somebody said the gas smell would persist and be more pungent but maybe my smeller isn't as sensitive as it used to be...

Thanks.

Bob
Use Both Cans to start a brush fire.
<And Then>
Label 1 can diesel and the other 1 gasoline.
Take the 2 cans to the service station
Be sure to fill the can with the diesel label on it from the diesel pump.
Likewise make sure you fill the can with the gasoline label on it from the gasoline pump.

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #27  
Billfrommich said:
I probably should have my son-in-law read this.
He put 5 gallons of my diesel (from a blue can labeled diesel) into his Buick. He said that it didn't run too good.
I'm sure glad that he didn't put gasoline in my tractor. It's off limit's to him!
As well it should be.:D

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #28  
Take the jug of "fuel" and pour it iinto the nearly empty gas tank of your wife's car. If the car cranks and runs well, it is gasoline. If is does not, and you receive a repair bill of several hundred dollars from Joe's Garage, it was diesel.

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #29  
Getting serious. Just rub some from each can between your finger and thumb. The gasoline evaporates quickly and will feel dryer. The diesel will feel oily and stay on your hand. Don't rub your hand clean on your pants as the diesel will stay there forever.

/ Tell diesel and gas apart ? #30  
Spiveyman said:
I just saw this thread post and it had the highest ratio I've ever seen of replies:views being 8:9. I was the guy that viewed and didn't reply, so I thought I'd open it back up and keep it batting 1.000.

So that my comments above are not the ONLY thing I've added to this thread, I've heard that gasoline will also put out a match if there are no vapors above the liquid. It's the vapors that are flamable. Keep in mind while I'm aware of this tid bit of info, I'm not expactly planning a demo any time soon. :eek:

Edit: Of course by the time I could type that the ratio chaged to 10:53 :) Still pretty high. My first thread was about 3:87 and I was all three replies! :)

Hmmm. I never gave any thought to the ratio of replies to views. Is that the basis for the rating system? He who has the highest ratio is the superior member while the lowest ratio means you stay a new member forever? Note to self: Start more threads likely to result in lengthy discussions, like "Will it take off?"