Tell me about Ford Tractors...

/ Tell me about Ford Tractors...
What's your favorite Ford Tractor model and why?

Are some very desirable and others less so?

For instance, I can tell you that the 1967 Volkswagen is special to a lot of bug fans. It was the first year with 12V electrical, the last year with old-style bumpers, a step up in engine size from 1200cc and 1300cc of earlier models to 1500cc, it had less smog crud tacked on than later models, and it even had backup lights.

Is there possibly a historical information website about Ford Tractor models explaining the differences and lineage? I would like to learn more about the versions, to recognize them and understand them better.

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Tell me about Ford Tractors... #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( To what degree do those of you who are fans of the early Ford's (N series mainly )</font>

I personally like NH.. that may come from the fact that the local ford dealer became the NH dealer when the big changeover took place. That said.. I don't like the new 'plastic/ergonomic' look o fhte tc series as much.. I prefer the metal hood.. more boxy looking line.. like my 1920 was.. or the 3010s.. or even my 7610s.. etc.

If you like the look/history of the ford thousand series.... you might look at farmtrack. Other than a tad updated sheetmetal.. the castings are very similar.. I believe farmtrac purchased rights to the designs. I'm not sure if they also purchased tooling or not.

Soundguy

/ Tell me about Ford Tractors... #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yes, we've added power steering, live pto, position, etc. but if I had to give up features, it would stop right at those that the early Fords had. Those tractors truly were revolutionary. I'm longing for a 600 even more)</font>

Don't have to do without much. As far back as 1955.. ford had optional power steering on the 6xx series. The manual for my 660 shows the optional power steering. My 660 also has a 2 stage clutch.. and SOS models had an independent pto.. and functioned similar to what we see in shuttles and hydrostats today. From 47 and on, ford had position contral and draft on most of its tractors.. etc. Rops retrofits are available for models all the way back to the 39 9n.. so theoretically you can have a 55 with pow steering.. live or independent pto/sos tranny and a rops.. etc. Even in 53 you could get a sherman live pto add on, or a sherman shuttle tranny..etc.

ard to believe that those features are now, still the big selling points.

Soundguy

/ Tell me about Ford Tractors... #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What's your favorite Ford Tractor model and why?

Are some very desirable and others less so?
)</font>

I have a special 'want' for a ford 5000, however for the older ones.. an 860 would be nice... pow steering.. live pto.. etc.

I currently have a 660 in my collection.. and that's close.. just no PS.. etc.

The live pto is a nice option.. brings it very close to a modern tractor

The smiths website is a great historacle resource as well as the ytmag N website

smiths site

Ytmag N board

Soundguy

/ Tell me about Ford Tractors... #15  
I am getting ready to sell my 1964 Ford 4000. It was the last of the 4 cyl models that was basically refined from the hundred series. It has PS, live PTO, 5 speed shuttle (3rd and reverse are at the "top" of the shift pattern - perfect for loader work). It came with a Kelly loader when I purchased it a little over 10 years ago. It has a factory rear remote and even has the "deluxe" seat with arm rest. It is a great tractor and I hope it finds a happy home.

Before the 4000, I had an 8N. I found a Wagnor loader for it, but without PS, it had really limits. It was a great little tractor, but I needed more power. It was a sad day when it left the farm.

I wanted a backhoe and decided to buy my retirement tractor. I am getting a TC40DA with FEL and BH. I did feel a link to NH, even though I know that about the only thing remaining of Ford is the color. I looked at the other colors, but kept coming back to the NH dealer. And I had purchased many of my parts for the 4000 and the 8N from these guys. I haven't thought about it, but I think I had a "comfort" level with them.

/ Tell me about Ford Tractors... #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( To what degree do those of you who are fans of the early Ford's (N series mainly I guess), consider the New Holland line to be the legitimate heir to that lineage and deserving of some degree of recognition for that heritage?

Or do you feel relatively un-attached to the New Holland line?
)</font>

Tom, for me there is no connection between the New Holland line and the old Fords. There is no more likeness between the two than there is between the Fords and Deeres. There was a transition of the modern Fords to New Holland, but that's where the likeness stops for me.

I grew up on a small hobby farm and used a Ferguson TO-20 until I got married and moved away. The reasons for the similarities between the Ford and the Ferguson lines was hidden to me in those days. My father told me he bought the Ferguson because it had better features than the 8N for the money, and that's all I knew. Frankly, in those days, I wasn't even sure what an 8N was. I did know about the 3PH and also watched my uncle struggle with his Allis-Chalmers and its implements. With the Ferguson, I could put on a plow and have half an acre done before my uncle was through changing implements. My uncle bought his Allis because it had a belt drive and could drive his sugarcane crusher/mill. Actually, I think he preferred to plow with his mule, Toby.

Only after retiring from the US Navy did I start to study the history and features of tractors. Because I bought some land and started making improvements, I decided I needed a tractor of my own. As I learned more about tractors and started looking for one to help with my chores on my property, it was natural for me to look at Fords and Massey-Fergusons. It turns out that I went to look at a Yanmar at a grey-market dealer and he had a Ford Jubilee sitting out back with a boompole for lifting and moving equipment. I asked if he would sell me the Jubilee and he did.

With buying the Jubilee, I suddenly became fascinated to the point of being obsessed with learning the history of the Fords. I think I was as intrigued by the relationships of the people as much as the innovation of the products they invented and sold. I guess it could have just as easily been Deere or Oliver that "tickled" my curiousity, but it was Ford, and I kind of ended up with tunnel vision.

With owning a Ford, it was only natural that I found myself in Ford/New Holland dealerships buying parts and supplies. When I decided I needed a more reliable tractor with modern features, the New Holland dealer was one of my choices. If you had asked me three weeks prior to my buying the New Holland, I would probably have told you Kubota, Kioti, or Deere. The last tractor I looked at was the New Holland and I was instantly won over by it's features. Everything was exactly as I would have wanted it with many extras I never even considered. When the dealer made me a quote of $100 less than what I thought would be the lowest possible price, I eagerly signed the papers. If the tractor had been purple and sold by an extra-terrestrial, I think I would have bought it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So my transition to New Holland was not specifically due to my beginnings with Ferguson and Ford, but I do know the history of those tractors and have the utmost respect for the gents who changed the basics of the way farmers work. Like interstate highways and the automatic transmission, some things are just "the right stuff." /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Tell me about Ford Tractors... #17  
Wow! There's been a lot of wisdom shared in these posts and I agree with most every point that I've read.

I grew up with a grandfather and several uncles who ran Deere exclusively. So, naturally, I was Deere-minded until my teens when I began to look at things more objectively.

My father bought an old Ford 860 and I ran it a fair amount during my teen years. I realized that Deere didn't really have anything that truly compared to the Ford 860. It was a nimble tractor which was very easy to operate. I still liked Deere, but there were cracks forming in my Fortress Deere.

Today, I do not have a tremendous amount of brand loyalty. I opt for the best machine in its class at a given time...price is not as big a factor as features and general design. This is why I regard New Holland's current TN and TC tractors so highly.

In summary, the older Ford tractors would be my first choice for a small utility, chore tractor. I still long to run the 860 again, not for nostalgia's sake as much as it was just a joy to operate. The elegantly, simple design of the old "Red Bellys" coupled with the excellent three-point and PTO features are why Ford would be my first choice.

I agree with what was stated before...if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then the old Ford tractors have been flattered more than any other brand.

/ Tell me about Ford Tractors... #18  
I reread your post, and something stuck out at me...

Some reasons you give are the same as why Bobcat is intrenched in Skidsteers. They have a good hydraulic and hitch system. And, if you go to the Bobcat web page, you will find an amazing array of attachments, amazing!

/ Tell me about Ford Tractors... #19  
Lots of interesting comments - but one thing I've always noticed when looking at tractors of that vintage - the Fords and Fergusons look lower and more stable the tall-wheel IHC and Deeres. I’ve never driven the others, but I do know the little Fords and Fergusons feel quite stable and comfortable. It makes them well suited for brush-hog work too (tranny-driven PTO on the early ones notwithstanding). When I look at my Dad’s MF35 compared to my Kioti, I see 2WD, manual steering, gas engine, but other than that they are very similar. If I had to point to one thing however, it would be Ferguson’s 3ph, draft control, and implement system. It was truly revolutionary!

/ Tell me about Ford Tractors... #20  
I think Jinman has summed it up as well as can be done... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I recently spent a lot of time looking for a small 30-ish HP tractor which I would be using for light work and general screwing around on my off time. I looked over new and used, the little imports, the major brands, contemplated financing vs. cash, etc, etc.... But the whole time I was looking I couldn't quit thinking about the little NAA back home that would do everything I wanted to do, but just was w/o things like live PTO and power steering and paltform. In so many ways, the old Ford was all I needed especially when I figured in using it no more than a few hours a week even if I could afford something newer. So, I found a nice little 8n in need of some TLC and paid the small price, have it in the shop being tended to, and when it's out it will be like new. All for much less than the price of even the most decent cheap used but newer tractor I saw.

As for the New Holland question, I don't see the modern NH as the legitimate heir apparent to the old Ford line. Nothing connecting the two other than company history and dealers. The closest I see to a "modern old" Ford is the Long Farmtrac series which are based on early 90's Ford models, but with different engines. Go look at the smallest Farmtrac model (35hp) and compare it to the NAA or 600-you'll see a whole lot of things which look very familiar considering they are 50 years removed from one another.....