Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,532  
When a glacier advances, does it push loose material ahead of it (dozer), or does it move over the loose material then drag it along(rear blade)? :)

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,536  
Glaciers shave by friction the rock cap creating soil (gravel, sand, silt and clay), it also dislodge pieces of rocks from rock caps or rock face from freeze and thaw and transport them from within, or envelop rocks from their path or their source like foot of mountains and carry them. The rounder a rock is the further it has travel, there is rock all over the bottom 1/4 of a glacier from all its side and center, the rocks was left behind or somewhat transported by water once they melted, there is not much movement at the front of a glacier most of the movement is in the middle (ice river) so some area stay relatively still some move relatively fast. This video is a great video on the mechanics of the glaciers and the creation of the great lakes I would say hypotheses of the creation of the great lakes but I think their work prove it to beyond doubt.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #8,539  
Therefore we can blame rocks on Climate Change!
Works for me!!! I just wish the darned things would stop popping up out of the ground every year.

When I bought my place I started reclaiming the old 2 acre field with my little CadPlans backhoe. It did a surprising amount of work but there was one rock which was bigger than it could handle.
Actually, it was bigger than my tractor.

I eventually worked a deal and got the field cleared for free. Rather than burying the stumps I had them piled up so that I could reclaim the topsoil. That was in 2009. I now have 11 9 piles of topsoil I'm working through. Somewhere is a boulder bigger than my tractor. When I find it, that'll be like seeing an old friend.

Or something. :unsure:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,540  
Since rock is a thermal mass capable of storing heat it could be taxed as a property asset. ;)