Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,441  
Lengthy, but a good video.
Between the 20 second and 30 second point in the video could have said, besides eskimos and thier dogs. At the turn of the century there where also a Sami indigenous group using reindeer (domesticated Cariboo) to haul supplies to villages in Alaska.
That kinda looks like you're saying Sami are indigenous to Alaska...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,442  
Yeah, you'd think so... however, a search for 'submarine spitfire' brings up plenty of results. I wonder if auto-correct does this to folks.
"Supermarine" isn't a common word in the vernacular, but submarine is. Sounds close enough so it is commonly substituted.

I would guess the Supermarine Company would consider "submarine" to be an insult. Prior to the Spitfire they primarily focused on seaplanes.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,443  
"Supermarine" isn't a common word in the vernacular, but submarine is. Sounds close enough so it is commonly substituted.

I would guess the Supermarine Company would consider "submarine" to be an insult. Prior to the Spitfire they primarily focused on seaplanes.
Thank you for the correction. My bad ;) RJ Mitchell was watch seagulls do aerobatics while trying desperately to design a better fighter. THere is a great video floating around You Tube on Mitchell and the Spitfire origins and it many variants.
As one veteran pilot said you don't get in to a spitfire, you put it on.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,444  
A004EFDD-A613-4EDD-A270-952E671B4D25.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,447  
That kinda looks like you're saying Sami are indigenous to Alaska...
No, the Sami are from the Artic regions of Finland , Norway. Originally brought to Alsaka for an emergency rescue mission by the US government.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,448  
I saw the Spruce Goose in the mid 80's, but the line was too long and we didn't wait to go up inside. Very impressive airplane.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#6,449  
A picture of a P51 powered by one of those engines used in the submarine. :D This picture is from the museum at the USS Alabama in Mobile. Well worth the visit.
IMG_2098.jpeg