Tension on Hay Elevator - NH 155

/ Tension on Hay Elevator - NH 155 #1  
Does anyone have any thoughts on the tension on the bale/flight chain (not the drive chain)? The manual says to keep it tight so it doesn't catch on the boot (which they don't define), or "hump" the sprocket. from the underside, it would seem to take a lot of tension to prevent the chain from falling down to the bottom side of the trough (as the chain and flights return to the bottom of the elevator on the back side). The elevator is probably 30 years old and rusty at the bottom anyway and I'm a little concerned about put to much tension on the flight chain.

Thanks for the help.

/ Tension on Hay Elevator - NH 155 #2  
You want it tight enough so that when ALL the bale teeth are engaged (as many bales as you can get it to pull) the chain does not slack on the return at the drive sprocket. Otherwise it will/may jump off or break the chain.

That being said, there should be enough idlers on the bottom side to keep the chain from drooping very low (as in 1 every 6 feet or so).

If it's tightened to much, you may buckle the elevator (go banana shaped). If you are handy, use some compression or extension springs (as in some rubber tie downs or garage springs to draw up the chain tension at the adjustment threads while letting it have a little freedom.

The sound of the chain as it engages the drive sprocket and the very end sprocket will guide you, Any clacking sound means its out of adjustment. This could mean the chain is heavily warn, too. Use dry graphite lube on it, too. You don't want oil on the hay bales.

/ Tension on Hay Elevator - NH 155
I'm not sure what happened to my reply so let me try again. I think you may be describing a different elevator. The 155 has two chains and these dividers which are placed every four feet or so. The dividers catch the bales and take them to the top.