Terraced Hay Pasture

/ Terraced Hay Pasture #1  

freewookie

Silver Member
Tractor
JD GT235, DK40SE HST
My 12 acre hay pasture has terraces from the dust bowl days. What's a good way to get rid of them? Disc?

Thanks

/ Terraced Hay Pasture #2  
id leave them in place and drive slow when i went over them but thats me.

/ Terraced Hay Pasture #3  
We had the same thing at Cashion, just left them, didn't cause any problems.
P7310009.JPG

/ Terraced Hay Pasture
We got a similar yield. Problem is that some of the terraces have eroded a bit so some of them are just berms. Our guy who hays it complains how hard it is to do.

/ Terraced Hay Pasture #5  
If terraces are high peaked one can pull a box blade or tandem along the peak to help lower the peak.

/ Terraced Hay Pasture #6  
Got terraces too. Can someone explain what purpose they serve(d) and benefits?

Attachments

• image-2438088480.jpg
    image-2438088480.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 198
   / Terraced Hay Pasture #7  
Helps keep your topsoil from washing away.

Bruce

/ Terraced Hay Pasture #8  
Terrrace's were designed to control the soil on cultivated land for crops where as grass roots tend to keep soil from washing.

/ Terraced Hay Pasture #9  
I grew up with terraces. Terraces can actually give you more land area. As mentioned they were designed to cut down on soil erosion. Management wise, you usually you have to work with them following the curves. I can imagine that big equipment would have problems. We did the math on our pretty steep slopes after terracing and it can be up to a third more area than the orginal slope. We graze them, and the grass grows well on leveled areas, and also on the steep slopes of the berms that form the terraces. We could never bale them.

/ Terraced Hay Pasture #10  
Terraces are specifically designed to capture rain water so it penetrates the soil, reduces or eliminates soil erosion, and increases your crop yield...... Do not level them.... The farmers of yesterday knew what they were doing.....