Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer?

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #41  
Alright, I admit it! I'm a crybaby when it comes to running any of my tractors on an incline. I'm terrified of tipping the machine on its side (or worse!). I know, fear is a good thing, but I get the heeby-jeebies whenever one of the rear wheels goes over a rock and the machine lifts up just a little on one side. On the 4600, if there's a little incline I'll often put down the stabilizers so if it does begin to tip, it will have something to rest on before it goes all the way over. Also, I'll turn the backoe over to the high side to add counter weight. Tires can be loaded, wheels weights added, and the wheels set for a wider track. All these things can, and should be done. But what about a way to measure how much the machine is leaning?

I find it odd that I have never seen any references to putting an inclinometer on the tractor dash. Has anybody done this? What about something like this? Amazon.com: Sun Company 201-F Lev-o-gage Inclinometer | USA-Made Level for Off-Road Vehicle, Jeep, Truck, RV, Camper, Trailer, or Boat: Industrial & Scientific

(I have no interest or involvement with promoting a product. I'm just asking.
I have seen lots of references, good idea. However you have to be on the slope to know said slope..so still need to be careful.

Most importantly (as you are probably aware but will say it in case). Any loads you have (FEL, 3PT, ballast, etc) throw those base tractor incline ratings out the door. So really you can't rely on what the manufacturer says about the incline by itself.

Personally I just never go sideways on an incline. I live in the mountains so it is doable. You just have to plan the route before you go.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #42  
Simple tiltmeter, DIY!
If you are cabbed, you could always hang a DIY plumb bob from the windshield top with limit marks painted or taped on the glass.
Yeah, but the dang thing will probably "boink" you in the head when you roll over.. :)

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #43  
The Red 'C' in the bigger pictures are approximately where the phone was laying in the grass taking the measurement.
Lay that phone on a 2x4 on that hill. Setting it in the grass isn't going to be very accurate.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #45  
Keep coffee an inch below lip. Cup has a diameter of 3.5 “, and one inch from top. Do the cosine function to get the angle, or the instant the coffee starts to spill. Stop what your doing, tip toe out of the tractor, then phone a friend with a chain.
Actually, that would be Tangent not cosine ;)

And IF the cup had a 3.5" rim....I'd be inclined to keep the liquid ~1-5/8" below the rim. When it starts to spill thats ~25 degrees.....which is about where MY pucker factor starts.

With coffee only 1" below the rim....thats a tad under 16 degree slope.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #46  
Alright, I admit it! I'm a crybaby when it comes to running any of my tractors on an incline. I'm terrified of tipping the machine on its side (or worse!). I know, fear is a good thing, but I get the heeby-jeebies whenever one of the rear wheels goes over a rock and the machine lifts up just a little on one side. On the 4600, if there's a little incline I'll often put down the stabilizers so if it does begin to tip, it will have something to rest on before it goes all the way over. Also, I'll turn the backoe over to the high side to add counter weight. Tires can be loaded, wheels weights added, and the wheels set for a wider track. All these things can, and should be done. But what about a way to measure how much the machine is leaning?

I find it odd that I have never seen any references to putting an inclinometer on the tractor dash. Has anybody done this? What about something like this? Amazon.com: Sun Company 201-F Lev-o-gage Inclinometer | USA-Made Level for Off-Road Vehicle, Jeep, Truck, RV, Camper, Trailer, or Boat: Industrial & Scientific

(I have no interest or involvement with promoting a product. I'm just asking.)
Wheel spacers will address tipping on incline to some degree. Make sure your row bar is extended and not folded down. Seen where people leave it down way to often when using tractor. It works well according to people have rolled over based on the survivors account.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #47  
As important as the ROPS is...wearing the seat belt is equally as important for surviving a rollover etc...!

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #48  
Actually, that would be Tangent not cosine ;)

And IF the cup had a 3.5" rim....I'd be inclined to keep the liquid ~1-5/8" below the rim. When it starts to spill thats ~25 degrees.....which is about where MY pucker factor starts.

With coffee only 1" below the rim....thats a tad under 16 degree slope.
I was looking at the flip of that triangle upside down. Lol. Bottom line is when it spills over. You’ll need a new coffee shortly there after

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #49  
Be that tractor owner everyone talks about, install a set of "ghost wheels" :D

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #50  
I'd shop for one with a smaller range of measurement. A smaller measuring range would give you better accuracy within the range you will actually be working in.

The one shown goes to 45 degrees. At 45 degrees you had already tipped the tractor. I won't do 30 degrees of slope with my Ventrac-- even though it is rated for that. I'd bet you have a high pucker factor on your tractor even at 15 degrees.
I have one of these. I think it’s useful/helpful, but I am a first time tractor owner. Funny you mention 15 degrees. That’s about all I want to do (my land is terraced, so a lot of humps).
what’s weird is some 15 degree inclines generate a pucker factor, while others do not. Just a bit interesting.

I like the thing as it gives an in-experienced driver like me an idea of what’s going on.