test driving dilemma

/ test driving dilemma #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
Here is my problem...As a first time tractor buyer/owner/user what is the best advice when it comes to testing a used (or even new) tractor?

Not being the first bit familiar with the mechanics of operating a tractor anyone have any tips on this...I have yet to physically look at any tractors so all this is just preparing myself... having to rely on a salesman or an owner to demonstrate a machine is not the most ideal way to make a purchase like this but what other options are there...few if any of the tractors that are available will be too far away to ask anyone I know that is capable...

Should I ask them to demonstrate the lifting capability of the FEL regardles of what they say it will lift?

should a (any) tractor be able to lift all four wheels off the ground using the loader and the 3 pt hitch ? (on a side note) is this a typical (good/bad) method of working on the tires ?

Other than obvious things like engine oil (signs of water) blowby, hydraulic leaks etc...is there anything to be sure to look for?

sorry for such noob questions but if not for this site I would be really lost (and gambling)

Thanks in advance for any input and insights

/ test driving dilemma #2  
If looking at used tractors then take a friend who knows something about tractors or pay a mechanic to come out and inspect it for you.

/ test driving dilemma
Sorry...I tried to relate the fact that I am in a remote region so I have to travel quite some distances and it is practically impossible to get the one or two individuals that have some experience to go with me...especially the only folks I know are another 50 miles away from me...

/ test driving dilemma #4  
If looking at used tractors then take a friend who knows something about tractors or pay a mechanic to come out and inspect it for you.

This is very good advice. Taking a friend that knows something about tractors would be the best choice IMHO. Not someone that has money to gain. Tractors are not that much different than cars or trucks. Decide on the size and a flavor before shopping. After that it's pretty much up to you. The controls and seating are set up differently between the various brands. Test drive several and pick what's comfortable for you. You will know when you find it.

/ test driving dilemma
sorry I don't know how to make it any clearer...it is just about impossible for me to take anyone that has any experience operating tractors with me...

can anyone answer any of my questions?

TIA

/ test driving dilemma #6  
sorry I don't know how to make it any clearer...it is just about impossible for me to take anyone that has any experience operating tractors with me...

can anyone answer any of my questions?

TIA

Well as others have said if you dont have much knowledge and are buying used than having someone w/ you who does is really your best option wether you want to keep getting this answer or not. A loader should be able to lift the front end of the tractor off the ground not all 4 wheels :eek: I would suggest narrowing it down to a few you may have interest in and then doing research from there. If you cant get help from someone and have no idea what to look for its really your only option. If you wanted to post back w/ some specifics as far as your needs are concerned size property, usage etc... than folks here can recomend some models/sizes that may work for you and then you can go from there, good luck

/ test driving dilemma #7  
New or used try and take tractor for test spin.

Used...check for welds here and there,also condition of tractor to see if it was take care of

New..compare couple of different models.

Most of all go w/your gut feelings.

/ test driving dilemma #8  
first of all , what are your main intended uses of your tractor ? mowing? clearing feilds? cut firewood? etc. how many acres do you have? Is it flat,hilly, muddy, trees, etc?

FEL should be able to push the tractor (lift off ground too) so you can use for getting yourself out when stuck with technique called crabbing. The 3 pt- it has no down pressure at all, it floats down from wieght of implements.

as for the blowby, water in oil, etc - I would be hesistant to buy as a newbie.I wouldn't be thinking of those things if you are not famalair with tractors. I would be looking at spanking brand new machine with a warranty. This would get you off on the right foot to the joyful experience of tractoring. If used is your only option, you need to have a freind or hire a mechanic to check those things for you. NO if /and/or/buts on this, the tractor is a large purchase that is to serve your needs for years to come and they last longer then a car does.

Have you looked online at kubota, johndeere, new holland, koiti, massey ferguson to get the feel of the features you would like? Any non-pushy salesperson should be able to answer your questions you are asking here and then steer you to a model that fit the best to your needs he/she perceieves. I cant stress enough- the first paragraph above needs to be answered first as which is why most of us haven't answered yet. this thread should be in the buyinbg/pricing/comparing forum. :D

remember , there are no dumb questions here. that what we are here for at TBN and welcome to TBN. Where abouts are you located ? :)

/ test driving dilemma #9  
Hi Pine, lets start with some very general things. It sounds as if you will be looking used and want a FEL. Here I'll make a couple of guesses. For FEL work it is desirable to have 4 wheel drive and power steering. This will put you into the newer used market for the most part.

When looking at a FEL I want to see that it is straight and not racked to one side or the other. Lowering the bucket on a flat level surface to see that the bucket lays flat is a good indicator. You do not want too much side to side movement of the arms, indicating that the pins and bushing are worn out and you want to see the signs of regular greasing. Cycle the loader through its normal movements to check for smooth operation. Checking for lifting capacity would be difficult I would think although most loaders will lift the front wheels off the ground. Do note that the 3 pt hitch does not have down pressure on 99% of the tractors out there. It will not lift the rear wheels but it is good to see how "jerky" it raises with a load if possible.

You seem to have a good idea on the engine basics. Besides what you have mentioned I would look at the hours on the machine and at least ask about its service schedule. I would want to drive it in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. Tires can be expensive to replace so that is a consideration. There are several types of transmission systems out there and you will find for FEL work that either a shuttle shift, can reverse directions without clutching, or an Hydrostatic will work best. With a straight gear tranny feeling for clutch slippage is important.

Tractors are really pretty simple machines compared to cars and trucks. Major flaws will generally show up in a test drive. There are specifics to look at with specific models and some reading here will point them out as you narrow down the search.

Personally I would start my hunt by defining my needs. If you are plowing a 100 acres you will be looking for something different than if you want to mow an acre of finish lawn. Share some of your needs/wants and others here can give you some ideas. It also helps to have a general idea where your located. Plowing snow in Alaska uses a different tractor than raking leaves here in Georgia.

MarkV

/ test driving dilemma #10  
/pine I believe this guy can help you out check your PM.