Test Running a diesel on propane

/ Test Running a diesel on propane #11  
You are absolutely right, but if one were really intent on totally destroying his diesel engine and himself (both at the same time), I would recommend using diethyl ether instead of propane.

/ Test Running a diesel on propane #12  
It'll start on straight propane or even gasoline. Many times either was used as a starting aid for cold diesels.

Ignition is supplied by heat of compression rather than a spark plug.

Egon

/ Test Running a diesel on propane #13  
I've seen our mechanic start an old 353detroit on wd-40, when diagnosing a bad fuel pump. Engine would start to die.. he'd give it another whif.. etc..

Never tried propane.. but I've been on jobs where the equipment did require 'choke' plates when doing underground utilities.

Soundguy

/ Test Running a diesel on propane #14  
Lister Petter diesels are converted to run on propane or natural gas. They don't use an injection system but add an appropriate fuel system. Because they have a diesel block, pistons, bottom end etc., they're legendary for long life. Those aren't the only ones converted to run on something other than diesel.

Either shouldn't be used to start an diesel with glow plugs. Works fine otherwise. For engines with or without glow plugs WD-40 is fine or spray silicone works well too. I've done many a winter start with silicone. It comes in larger cans than WD-40. The diesel will run on silicone for a short while. If you had a way of spraying a lot of silicone into the intake it would probably run longer That would be a lot safer way to test a diesel.

/ Test Running a diesel on propane #15  
I have used a gas soaked rag to start lots of engines. WD-40 works good too. WD-40 sprayed around an intake is a good way to find vacume leaks too. Never seen a propane setup before but Im sure there is such a thing.

/ Test Running a diesel on propane #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It is 100% absolutely impossible to run a diesel engine only on propane taken in through the air intake alone, ie without any diesel fuel injected into each cylinder. )</font>

Sorry to tell you this, But they will run.
Egon is right, if a diesel engine sucks gas fumes, propane fumes, natural gas fumes, Etc. through the intake they will run.
They will take off running with no governer to slow the motor and if there are enough fumes supplied they will run off until they blow themselves apart..

/ Test Running a diesel on propane #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( It is 100% absolutely impossible to run a diesel engine only on propane taken in through the air intake alone, ie without any diesel fuel injected into each cylinder. )</font>

Sorry to tell you this, But they will run.
Egon is right, if a diesel engine sucks gas fumes, propane fumes, natural gas fumes, Etc. through the intake they will run.
They will take off running with no governer to slow the motor and if there are enough fumes supplied they will run off until they blow themselves apart..
)</font>

LOL, we all know they will run until they blow up since there is no control of the ignition process whatsoever.......

/ Test Running a diesel on propane #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( LOL, we all know they will run until they blow up since there is no control of the ignition process whatsoever....... )</font>

Maybe I missunderstood some of the posts then. I read several posts saying that a deisel engine will not run on propane fumes through the intake alone, they had to have deisel injected also.
The point I was trying to make is that they will run on propane fumes through the intake alone and they do not need deisel to be injected..

/ Test Running a diesel on propane #19  
There's no doubt a diesel will run on propane or any gaseous fuel. Unfortunately you may have no control over the engine. In a run away situation the engine can quickly exceed the safe rpm. Diesels are low rpm engines compared to gasoline engines. A family member ended up with an $8,000 repair bill because a mechanic screwed up and the cat diesel in his semi ran away.

The other problem is on engines with gear driven self-lubed injection pumps, you'll be running the pump dry without a diesel fuel supply. Could lead to premature pump failure. On engines whose injection pumps have a separate lube oil feed that's not a problem.

/ Test Running a diesel on propane #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Lister Petter diesels are converted to run on propane or natural gas. )</font>

Think you will find these conversions have a different head, different compression ratio and diferent cam shaft.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif