Testing a block heater

/ Testing a block heater #21  
I don't have a clamp on meter, so I can't try that--even if I did, the cord on the heater is moulded and would be very difficult to split.

I know you said you didn't have a clamp-on current meter but in case anyone else does and struggles with splitting leads you might want to try one of these gizmos. There are many different brands but they all do the same thing - allow you to test AC loads without splitting wires or tearing the outlet box apart. I have one and it works great!

Probe.jpg

/ Testing a block heater #22  
I know you said you didn't have a clamp-on current meter but in case anyone else does and struggles with splitting leads you might want to try one of these gizmos. There are many different brands but they all do the same thing - allow you to test AC loads without splitting wires or tearing the outlet box apart. I have one and it works great!

View attachment 353451

hay hay hay.. that does the same thing that my home made splitter block does...but looks way nicer. i just may get one of those

/ Testing a block heater #23  
Just plug it in. You'll hear it trying to boil the coolant inside, those kinds of sounds anyway, like putting a tea kettle on a burner.

Ralph

/ Testing a block heater #25  
I'm a toucher... I just my finger on the head of the block heater. It gets warm to the touch rather quickly.

/ Testing a block heater
Latest update--I took my meter to the heater and got a reading of about 11 ohms. There is a short cord with a special plug end to attach to the heater on one end and a regular three prong 110 plug on the other. Checked that cord and got continuity on all parts. ( I even made a jumper wire to test it in total besides checking each individual wire . All seemed good, however, when I plug that cord into the heater and check for continuity--ZIPPO. Any body have any ideas?

/ Testing a block heater #27  
Sounds like a burn element.

/ Testing a block heater #28  
YES, common problem as I mentioned. The contacts are often not up to the task and are burned, providing poor contact. How do the heater prongs look, if you can see them? What about the cord. Is it melted around the socket openings?

A little curious though. Seems the heater has very low resistance. My calculations at 120 volt would be that the heater has 1309 Watts! Could that be? Never heard of an element going lower resistance then it should be, only burning up, going open circuit.

/ Testing a block heater #29  
Easiest way to check a block heater ever. Take a drop light with a a place to plug in on the handle. Plug the block heater into the outlet on the handle. If droplight dims, the heater is working.

/ Testing a block heater #30  
Sounds like a burn element.

did you read his post? he said he tested about 11 ohms on the heater element. that's not OPEN!!!

the 11 ohms is about what i expected as well.