/ Testing a Tiltmeter #42  
Re: Bucket laser level

Rick,

Send me a proto-type and I'll be glad to test it! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-30055-Cliffsig.jpg

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #43  

Harv, Rick, Larry

I guess I'll start with, everything is easy for those (me) that don't have to do it.

Harv,
<font color=blue>I think it would also be possible (and inexpensive) to build in some electronic dampening to smooth out the readings.</font color=blue>

Yep, your right, no big deal, once you have bitten the bullet for a basic electronic assembly, integration with analog circuitry or digital processing, is no big deal. You can pack a lot of functionality in square inch of circuitry. A PIC processor is less than $5.

Larry,

<font color=blue>I'd like to hear everybody's thoughts about how knowing the attitude of you bucket relative to true horizontal/vertical, instead of relative to the tractor,</font color=blue>

I don't think you have to make a choice, both are easily available once a suitable sensor is developed. i.e. two sensors one on the tractor, one on the bucket. Common display and processing multiple sensors, mode switch for what you want to do.

Rick,

<font color=blue>The only problem I had was finding one with light enough friction on shaft to make it work right. All the ones I tried needed such a large weight that is was not feasible.</font color=blue>

Right on here, a deadband exists at small angles from normal. The tangential force on the pot is the Sin of the angle and is only 2-3% of the weight. This force has to overcome the static friction of the wiper and the bearing friction. Pots in general were never intended for unbalanced loading of the shaft. I have been succsessfull with double shaft Spectrol wire wound pots with 0.5% linearity. These would not survive in a tractor environment very long. I'll send you one if you want to play around a bit.

Rick,
<font color=blue>Twinkletoes, please e-mail if you would like to assist.</font color=blue>

Hummm..... Bahamas. I think the Pot and the Pendulum(thanks Harv) is interesting and simple, not sure it's a rugged enough to survive the environment of the tractor world. From freezing rain, 100% humidity, salt atomosphere, -40 to 150 deg F temperature, constant shock and vibration, thats a tough environvent for anything with parts that move. But you knew this and that wasn't your question. Let me give this some thought and if I believe I have a concept that is viable in a commercial market, I will send you a private email.

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #44  

caddison,
I am looking at other options to make this thing work. If, and
when I get a couple finished, I will send them out to those
wanting to test, and give input. Another option is a reed
switch, and magnet on pendulum. Magnet passes reed switch,
and switch closes. Dampening of pendulum is current problem.
Oil in box as dampening must have a pressure relief in temp.
changes, but not leak. Playing with relief diaphram now.
R&D money ain't growin on trees around here either. Wife
thinks I should spend what little I make to take her to Disney
World for a week. I think it should go to R&D. AND THE
BATTLE RAGES. Time will tell. She usually wins. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #45  

Rick,
When you and your wife return from Disneyland, put me on your list for the bucket level. It would be kinda neat if you could read both levels, that is, level to the ground and/or level to the tractor. Maybe a two position switch.. I'm a player for this gizmo...

JiminMI

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #46  

JiminMi,
Please watch the posts for a notice of finished product. I
will put you on list, but the memory fades with age. I believe
I am at the memory level of 216 yrs. old now. Give or take a
day or two. Thanks for your interest. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814