Testing a Tiltmeter

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #31  
Re: Bucket laser level

Rick,
How about a laser cutter? Seriously! With a focused contained length beam, you could replace a rotary mower for moist grass or brush. The technology exists Of course, the price is probably way too much $$$. I could see a $250k laser on a $15k tractor...

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #32  

Rick -

Just curious -- how do you suppose this, or any optical system, will fare in a hostile environment full of dirt, dust, mud, snow, pressure-washers and spilled coffee? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #33  

Harv,
I have already spoken to a glass company that says they can
make a small scratch resistant glass lens to cover hole in
box that laser is mounted in. Should wipe clean easily.
Should not build up too fast, but if it does, it will wipe clean,
without damage. Initial tests show it will shoot through fair
amount of dust, and still be a good viewable beam. You are
on the ball. I thought of same thing yesterday. Thats why I
called glass co. today. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #34  

Rick,

This sounds like a fun topic. How about this and keeping it simple.

Use a potentimeter with a lead weight hanging from the shaft. Pot shaft is horizontal, weight hangs normal to the shaft, shaft is parallel to the plane of rotation. Use a digital panel meter, calibrated in degrees. Configure it electrically in a bridge configuration with a zero balance adjustment (assembly need not be mounted on a zero degree surface). Power it from the tractor battery (draws a few milliamps). Add a voltage regulator for bridge excitation. Polyfilm pots which are good for a million cycles are cheap as are digital panel meters.
Price of the electrical parts less than $20. General rule for marketing, 3 times the price of the parts, $60 total. OEM quantities will drop these prices a lot.

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #35  

<font color=blue>it will wipe clean</font color=blue>

Now all you need is a Windex sprayer that hooks up to the loader's hydraulic system and you're all set. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #36  

The Pot and the Pendulum

That's another great idea! I'm a big believer in "elegance through simplicity", and you've nailed it. Rick might just come back and explain why it won't work, but offhand I'd say you're onto something.

I'm a little rusty on my electronics, but I think it would also be possible (and inexpensive) to build in some electronic dampening to smooth out the readings.

I'm loving this board for its range of talent and creativity. What a gold mine! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #37  

Twinkle_Toes, Even tough I'm in the electronics manufacturing business, I'd pay $60 for such a device in a heartbeat. Once the engineering work is done, I hate the packaging, mounting, etc. We use electronic inclinonometers for our satellite systems but they are far more sophisiticated than necessary for this application (and expensive). Come to think of it, my electronic level is the same thing, but still more than $60. I like your KISS level indicator. All we care about is level and relative indications approaching level, not degrees or percentages.

On the other hand, I'm trying to convince myself that with enough practice I won't need these helper tools. It's just that I probably only have another 40 or so years to practice and that may not be enough!

Larry...

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #38  

Hi Twinkletoes,
I'm impressed!!!!! The only experience I have with such a
potentiometer was 2 yrs. ago for a similar project. The only
problem I had was finding one with light enough friction on
shaft to make it work right. All the ones I tried needed such
a large weight that is was not feasible. With such a large
weight, the shaft bearing, or bushings would not handle the
weight without considerable wear. I by no means did not try
all that might be available. Other projects came up that were
more pressing at the time. I would truly appreciate any help
you might , or anyone might offer. Actually, I like your idea of
the system better than mine. So, when are we going to
start on this ????? If and when a finished model is available,
we can split the profits. However I get first dibs on a trip to
the Bahamas. Seriously guys, any input is welcome.
Twinkletoes, please e-mail if you would like to assist. I am by
no means an expert on electronics. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #39  

I like the way you guys are thinking. Glad I tuned in to this thread (after it was renamed) cause I have been trying to dream up ideas on my own. None as good as what's here. My old B7100 FEL has a mechanical indicator. I guess I didn't realize how much I relied on it 'till it was gone. This was a sliding rod in a tube that mounted between one of the bucket brackets and an arm on the lift frame. When the rod was flush with the top of the tube, the bucket was in a level (relative to tractor) position.
Both parts had to be mounted to pivot slightly because of a little vertical plane motion that occurrs during bucket movement. Don't know why this was abandoned...I didn't have any problems with it and it must have cost all of $10 to make.
I was thinking about fabricating one for my new rig. But with my leaning toward the "techie" side of things, this may be just two darned simple.

18-30461-BillSig.jpg

/ Testing a Tiltmeter #40  

Rick,

Was reading about the laser level and came up with an idea. Instead of a constant beam monitoring an indicator on the bucket, why not a reflective sensor that is positioned in a fashion that when the bucket is level the beam would bounce back, thus activating a light on the dash panel. Not sure if it would work but it sounds good in theory! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-30055-Cliffsig.jpg