Testing the water... er Mud

/ Testing the water... er Mud #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
With the dry weather the water level of my 1/2 acre pond is way down. I want to drive my FWD CUTS tractor into the pond basin for two reasons. First, to pull out several trees and branches that have fallen in over the 15 years of neglect before we owned the property and second, to use my box blade to remove a couple feet of accumulated silt. Although the pond bottom has been exposed for the last month and can be walked on, I can, with my considerable 225lbs, still push a shovel handle about 1-foot into the muck.
While I have never purposely needed to drive into this kind of situation, I assume I should drive in slowly and see how the front holds-up. I do have a loader that could be used to lift the front-end if I bury it but I have never actually used this technique. Worse case is I can hopefully pull the tractor out with my truck should I get brave (stupid) and get all 4 wheels spinning.
Finally the question; Is there a method to get a fair idea when your tractor will navigate mud without using the time proven, "Heh hold my beer and watch this," method. Time is of the essence as it usual gets pretty wet during the winter months. TIA

/ Testing the water... er Mud #2  
I'm thinking you should be prepare to have it pulled out, good chance once you are in there you may have a tough time getting out. Can't "see" your pond but from your description I wouldn't be taking my tractor in there. :2cents: :)

/ Testing the water... er Mud #3  
Don't do it. You will become so stuck that you will need a wrecker to pull you out. To get the trees out use a long chain(s) and keep the tractor on terra firma. To remove the silt hire a trackhoe or dozer.

/ Testing the water... er Mud #4  
Don't do it. You will become so stuck that you will need a wrecker to pull you out. To get the trees out use a long chain(s) and keep the tractor on terra firma. To remove the silt hire a trackhoe or dozer.

Ditto on that ^^^^^^^

I found it humorous about using the pickup to pull you out, think 80 hp tractor and a long chain or cable.

/ Testing the water... er Mud
My gut already knew the answer but I was hoping someone would have an old farmers trick that works most every time. :laughing: The chains are a good idea and I have used them before to pull trees but you can see from the picture it is a long way from dry ground to the biggest tree which leaves me about 120 short on chains. Goes against my self-sufficiency to hire-out work when the tractor and me are sitting idle. Appreciate your feedback, maybe it will dry out faster since I improved the air circulation. I guess I can spend my idle time installing a culvert upstream which is another part of this project.

/ Testing the water... er Mud
I found it humorous about using the pickup to pull you out, think 80 hp tractor and a long chain or cable.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it is a Chevy not a Ford or Dodge!

/ Testing the water... er Mud #7  
I've did this before. I just got stuck with the box blade, had to unhook pull out the tractor the retrieve the blade. Then I hooked up the pond scoop( determined the do this since I had a chance) could back in and scoop and the scoop full of mud put enuff weight on the rear to pull out easily, two wheel drive. But, never tied your pond good luck

/ Testing the water... er Mud #8  
Get a truck mounted winch and use the winch cable and chains to drag the trees and branches out. As for the silt, it either needs to dry for a long time or you need the right tool for the job. A CUT is not that tool...

/ Testing the water... er Mud #9  
using the loader to push you out when stuck requires something firm for the loader to push on, which you may not find in the bottom of a pond.

/ Testing the water... er Mud #10  
Don't do it. You will become so stuck that you will need a wrecker to pull you out.

A tractor with a diff lock will walk itself out of about anything with a chain...........

Need the right wheels though.....