Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,091  
Shame on you Jim for not buying Texas oranges.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi, would they send me a double order?;):laughing: You are absolutely right. My intention was to buy a box of California navel oranges and then buy a box from Texas to make a comparison. However, there must have been a conspiracy to keep me from buying Texas fruit by sending me so many from California.:confused3:

Actually, several years ago, my wife and I were in California and bought some navel oranges right at the orange grove. They were so good, I decided to buy some from both CA and TX. I will still buy from the Texas growers, but not before Christmas. They'll still have plenty of oranges in the valley in January when I finally get rid of all the ones I have. Besides, why would I want to give away my Texas oranges? I'll keep all of them for myself.:cool:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,092  
Congratulation on the weight lost Jim,, I am on a reduction plan myself but having seen the results you have.. I have lost about 24 lbs in the last year,, Jan first,, still have about 30 to go before I get to 200..
We have a lot of oranges in my area of the woods,, lots of people grow them in their back, front, side yards.. so everybody is always giving us oranges, tangerine and grapefruit,, I know they mean well but you can only eat so many of them.. But I give away tomatoes most of the year to pay them back.:). Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,093  
I always knew that California, Florida, and Texas were citrus producers, but we spent the month February, 1990, in the Phoenix area and were given more locally grown, freshly picked oranges and grapefruit than we could eat. And while we like the Navel oranges, we've been buying the Clementines at Walmart. They're small, quick and easy to peel, and quite tasty.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,094  
Lou, peaches, plums, apples, pears, and nut trees all do well here, but this is just not a good citrus area because of our late frosts. Citrus can handle our heat, but not the late frosts. I believe that's the major reason we don't see much citrus here.

Bird, I love the little Clementines, but I think these navel oranges are just as tasty and not as dry. Also, the Clementines can be pretty expensive. I have an old bartender's trick for peeling oranges using the small rounded handle of a fork or spoon. I can "peel" a whole orange and leave it in the skin by only making two small cuts at the stem and navel end. My grandson loves it when I give him an orange to eat that is loose inside the peel.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,095  
Jim,
I'm partial to Texas oranges because we used to sale oranges and grapefruit in high school FFA. My family is not big on grapefruit, but the oranges we bought were thin skinned and awesome to eat. Every now in then, when I can not find Texas oranges in the stores, I purchase non Texas oranges. Not the same. I am spoiled.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,096  
Jim, don't be so sure those were not California oranges grown by Texans. My grandfathers brothers left Texas and started orange groves in California.
Hope this helps the non-Texas product angst. :)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,098  
I had angst once, but cured it by letting the sweet juice of one of my oranges run down my chin and drip onto my shirt. :laughing:

If you get much skinnier the drip will miss your shirt and hit the tip of your boot which you haven't been able to see for years.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,099  
Jim and Mike congratulations on your will power and weight loss.
Now the hard part - sustaining it for the long term. That means you no longer calling it a diet - it's just the way you eat - from now on - forever - and even though you might miss some of the types and quantity of foods, you know you are better off and don't feel deprived (well at least not deprived enough to start gaining).
In a year I hope to congratulate you on your new lifestyle.:thumbsup:
Thanx Don ...I'm not doing as well as Jim but I'm hanging in there. I did gain 5 back over thanksgiving but my goal is to be at 195 area by April. Not trying to lose it all at once ....took several years to get into that poor diet ....figure by making changes slowly my eating habits will become more automatic. Funny though ...Jim and I seem to be on the same page...I started my "diet" Aug 9. I went from 266 to 216 but am currently at 220....so I still have work to do.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,100  
the Clementines can be pretty expensive

Yep, I was in a Walmart this morning and they had some fine looking sweet Navel oranges in 8 lb. bags. It figured out at $0.81 a pound. Their Clementines in 3 lb. bags figured out at $1.32 a pound.