Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,621  
Jim,Brandi?? OK, fixing to "try" to get on those trees I need to remove, the rental place now has a Komatsu PC35 MR2 excavator. I'm thinking it would be faster than a Backhoe, should be strong enough (better than the Terramite) and is the same $$..(looks "funner" too:thumbsup:)

OH, has an 11' depth which is 8' more than I need:laughing:, they also have a mini with 7' dig depth, but didn't ask about that little thing.

Heres the web sight, scroll down and you can see what they have.
http://cobbrentalandequipment.com/heavy_equipment

Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,622  
Jim, I tried to find if you had a garden thread somewhere? anyway, has your fence been keeping the deer out good and how high is it? I'm betting I will have to raise mine since the deer like coming in the yard. They have become somewhat dependent:laughing: Hey! guess that makes me a 1%er at least on my place:D

Dennis, our deer come right into our yard too, but they do not challenge the 7' net fence. Just use some 8' t-posts about 15'-20' apart and string that deer netting between them. It's the easiest fence to put up and take down as needed. I use twist-ties and take the fence down in the spring to plow and lay out my garden. I'm buying onion sets this weekend. I tilled my garden up really good in the fall and it is still nice and fluffy, but the recent rains really soaked in and it is wet.

#1,623  
Jim, thanks! I knew yours was at least 6', I already have some 8' T post. Was thinking the deer would be jumping a 6' though, they clear my 4' with room to spare. I also have some field fence so I was going to us that..maybe..

Oh Thoughts on my above question on the excavator (size wise) since I know you have experience with one. thanks

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,624  
Dennis, our deer come right into our yard too, but they do not challenge the 7' net fence. Just use some 8' t-posts about 15'-20' apart and string that deer netting between them. It's the easiest fence to put up and take down as needed. I use twist-ties and take the fence down in the spring to plow and lay out my garden. I'm buying onion sets this weekend. I tilled my garden up really good in the fall and it is still nice and fluffy, but the recent rains really soaked in and it is wet.

Jim,
The deer netting is great. :thumbsup:
I took ours down last fall and left the T-posts in place. I plowed the garden in the fall with my old double moldboard plow so water could
help bust up the deep clay by freezing and thawing this winter. And that did start the rain 2 days after I plowed after not having any rain since last May. We already have our years worth of snow for 2013 and the pond is brim full.

I used a piece of plastic pipe on one end as a gate attached to a T-post corner pole with a couple strips of Velcro around it for a gate latch. I used old plastic baler twine that we save off the hay rolls for tying on the netting to the posts. It was great to just wind the fence up around the pipe and carry it to the barn under one arm.
Thanks again for a great idea.
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,625  
Jim,Brandi?? OK, fixing to "try" to get on those trees I need to remove, the rental place now has a Komatsu PC35 MR2 excavator. I'm thinking it would be faster than a Backhoe, should be strong enough (better than the Terramite) and is the same $$..(looks "funner" too:thumbsup:)

OH, has an 11' depth which is 8' more than I need:laughing:, they also have a mini with 7' dig depth, but didn't ask about that little thing.

Heres the web sight, scroll down and you can see what they have.
Cobb Rental & Equipment - Rental Equipment

Dennis,
Get the bigger of the two excavators. It is just the right size for stumps. The other is more for trenching and such. Let us know how you like the Komatsu.
hugs, Brandi

#1,626  
Dennis,
Get the bigger of the two excavators. It is just the right size for stumps. The other is more for trenching and such. Let us know how you like the Komatsu.
hugs, Brandi

Thanks Brandi! I wasnt sure if that was big enough, I left the trees standing as you guys recommended too:thumbsup: I know the backhoe they have would do it, but not having to drop the pads for every stump seems like it would go faster.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,627  
Yep, it was damp yesterday morning, but then sunny and very nice yesterday afternoon. Then sunny and cold this morning.

And of course timing is the most important factor in whether or not a rain dance succeeds.;)

You are right, Bird, as in much of life......."Timing is everything".

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,628  
Dennis,
hugs, Brandi

I've rented the mini-ex and find it great for getting into tight spots and going through narrow gates, but the PC35 would be my choice for any 'real' work. Even if you won't be digging deep, you'll find the extra reach of the longer boom is terrific. Just like extenda-hoes on TLBs, you just never seem to get enough boom length and reach. It costs more, but you'll get so much more work done with the bigger machine that you'll find it cost-effective.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,629  
Thanks Brandi! I wasnt sure if that was big enough, I left the trees standing as you guys recommended too:thumbsup: I know the backhoe they have would do it, but not having to drop the pads for every stump seems like it would go faster.

As slow as an excavator moves...........it can work circles around a backhoe. Your in for some fun.
hugs, Brandi

#1,630  
Well shoot (cuss), I rented the excavator, got home all excited. Then it turns into "gold Rush look-a-like". Little thing digs....slow, not what I was expecting, but it digs.

About 2 hrs into "the dig" one of the rubber tracks came off the rear drive wheel?, OK called the after hours #, by the time they called back I had it on (PITA) Actually it jumped itself back on:D 2 more hours and I'm getting the hang of this little thing, then a hydraulic line gets a pin hole where it flexes, looks like a whale blowing every time the bucket is actuated, so I shut her down:mur: So now it sits while I wait for a call...

My tractor lines are to small or I'd hijack one of them. I must have special Oak trees:laughing:!! it takes nearly 3-4' all the way around to be able to push them over. I'm dam sure glad you guys told me not to cut them down, the one stump I cut 5 years ago was the hardest so far, cut off at the ground.

I know I dont like rubber tracks now, but I like the joysticks (thumb drive) It is a blast, but next time I'm getting a bigger machine, or dynamite!!

Dont know how they will deal with the hose, but I hope they do house calls:laughing: And no, I didn't hit anything:thumbsup: 7 trees to go

0223131534_zpsce3d1ea8.jpg