Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,831  
On a lighter note, I should be photographing this dendrobium orchid In Feb-Apr which is the normal time for it to bloom.
For some reason, after repotting last spring it decided to change the natural cycle of things and started a bloom shoot very soon after. My wife has had this plant for 22 years and has seperated/repotted it the same time every year in new bark. The blooms start to open at the back of the shoot and continue to the tip over a period of time. Once they are all open they remain this way for 2-3 months.
Such a beautiful flower from such an ugly plant base.:)

Beautiful pics, pacerron! I used to have a lot of orchids, when I was in college. I had aquariums with custom stands and lighting, and the orchids loved the room those were in! Lighting and humidity kept them in bloom, longer than I thought possible. Now your photos have me wondering if I shold get a plant or two for my "garden" room. (The area I drag my plants into to overwinter them.)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,832  
Brandi, I dont know how you can stand to be around sooo many people:laughing: I understand "why", but dont envy it at all. And whats with I-45 through down town??? almost need an off road vehicle for that stretch of road, like riding a wave!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,833  
Brandi, I dont know how you can stand to be around sooo many people:laughing: I understand "why", but dont envy it at all. And whats with I-45 through down town??? almost need an off road vehicle for that stretch of road, like riding a wave!!
Dennis,
I leave here at 7:20 pm to go to work. No traffic in H town unless an accident. I leave work at 7 am and hit traffic from Hobby on I-45 @ Monroe street to Loop 610. About 3 miles of of 20 mph traffic. Then I take Loop 610 east over the ship channel to the Hardy Toll Road. The loop has fast moving traffic (lots of trucks) except for an accident. Then it is clear flying up the Toll Road for 19 miles to The Woodlands, the north on I-45.

I-45 downtown is a mess in traffic, as folks don't like all the curves it has around downtown and all the left and right exits mess folks up as they try to make their exit from 3 lanes over!

H town traffic is one reason I work nights.
hugs, Brandi

#1,834  
H town traffic is one reason I work nights.
hugs, Brandi

Amen sister! works for me in every state I have to go to and the only way I can sanely get around Houston with this 30' trailer. Nights is the way to go if you dont mind the odd hours.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,835  
Amen sister! works for me in every state I have to go to and the only way I can sanely get around Houston with this 30' trailer. Nights is the way to go if you dont mind the odd hours.

Traffic in Houston is all about timing. There are usually always large windows of time where you can go almost anywhere with very little traffic during daylight hours. If you aren't on a fixed schedule of course it helps.

I always made it downtown from just west of 610 in the mornings in about 20 minutes.That was from my DW to parked and at the courthouse. Even after moving over to just south of Westpark and Kirby it was easy to get downtown. Now driving in from way out west or north would be much different.

Austin is terrible to get around in if you have to drive.

#1,836  
Austin is terrible to get around in if you have to drive.

Have to agree with you there. I remember when they built the upper for I-35, never understood why they didnt go farther, but as you said, another mad house during the day time.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,837  
Have to agree with you there. I remember when they built the upper for I-35, never understood why they didnt go farther, but as you said, another mad house during the day time.

There are alternates to I-35 through Austin. Mopac, on the west side of Austin and 183 on the east side. On weekends, when I-35 backsup for unknown reasons, MLK to Ceasar Chevaz (sp) and South Congress is faster than I-35. My daughter lived off of South Congress (lots of great places to eat) for awhile. Downtown lights are timed fast when there is lite traffic. But stay away when Austin Music Fest is booming.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,838  
Lots of construction on 71 and crazy drivers switching lanes. Same idiot almost hit my F-350 three times cutting in front of me. Went up to visit RCO tractors on Old Bee Caves road a few weeks ago. That would really be fun pulling a trailer with tractor loaded on it.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,839  
While all you folks are stuck in traffic in DFW, Austin, or Houston, I can tell you that getting around Wichita Falls, TX is a breeze.:) Of course, there aren't a lot of jobs there. As long as they don't close Sheppard AFB, it will remain a very nice little city with great highways and most everything you would ever need. Yesterday, I discovered Acme Brick and a fireplace/outdoor grill installation place. I like Wichita Falls a little more every time I go there. I'm sure there are many small cities with similar characteristics all over the state. If I can avoid the big metro areas and stay in the small cities my attitude soars and my blood pressure is low.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,840  
If I can avoid the big metro areas and stay in the small cities my attitude soars and my blood pressure is low.:D

When I lived in Houston and came out here on weekends I could feel a sudden relief of anxiety on Hwy 71 between Columbus and LaGrange - it took that long.