Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #271  
We've had fog and mist since about dark last night, and so far a total of maybe .18" of water in the gauge.

Well, we are getting lucky. My gage now says 1-1/4" so far.:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!

WOW! I saw those line of storms moving NE over you. I got the little storm moving south of yours, so far only 3/10ths

Jim, as far as the taxes, you should have hit the "Opt-out" button:laughing:

Are you under AG? a couple of goats or moo cows would be great for the grandson too.:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #273  

Maybe you were lucky for me, too. Right after i posted about the .18", it started actually raining. I think so far we've gotten another half inch or so.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #274  
we started getting a few sprinkles after 2pm today.but thats been it so far today.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #275  
Jim, as far as the taxes, you should have hit the "Opt-out" button:laughing:

Are you under AG? a couple of goats or moo cows would be great for the grandson too.:thumbsup:

I do get pretty good breaks on homesite taxes since my taxes are frozen due to my veteran's disability level of 60%. My taxes on my raw land are a little over $1100 per year and my homesite would not be included in Ag exemption since it sits on a 2-acre severance. Therefore, I have never seen the economic advantage of building fences and shelter for animals that have to be fed, doctored, and tended 24/7/365. If I ever get an exemption, it will be for wildlife conservation. Since my wife sold her land and animals, our life has been tremendously simplified. Except for our pesky;) little pet kitties, we have complete freedom to come and go wherever/whenever we want. If I had a large piece of rangeland, I know I'd have animals, but for 22 acres, it's nice to not have to tend fences and look after animals.

You are right that my grandson might benefit from raising animals. We'll see how that works out.

I love watching weather on the late news and seeing what the forecasters are saying because their models fail to produce accurate results so often. Last night, Pete Delkus said that we'd get only a trace of rain today. Already, we've had 1/4" with more on the way. I didn't empty my gage yesterday and it's close to 1-1/2" total for these storms. I'm NOT complaining. I just think it's funny about those predictions. Mikim has said that anything beyond a 5 day forecast is pure speculation, but it seems that with these storms, any forecast over 5 hours is likely not accurate. You just never know.:confused2:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #276  
Half an inch last night with more predicted today and tonight, but nothing heavy. It's nice to get anything at all, but a big, heavy downpour is very high on my wishlist!!!!

Eddie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #277  
I figure about 1.08" for yesterday and night before last, so I'm happy about that. The cold weather for a few days, then rain and south breeze has resulted in leaves falling all over the neighborhood. Our forecast is for a 90% chance of rain today and 80% tonight, but so far it's all gone north and south of us and missed us in the middle today.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Jim, I think raising some type of farm critter is good for any young man/woman. A lot of "life lessons" can be learned when you throw a little responsibility in the pot raising a calf or two, building fence and maintaining it all, then the reward at the sale barn:)
EDIT: I checked into the Wildlife exemption when we bought this 15 acres, they said I had to have been under a previous AG exemption for 5 years prior to getting the Wildlife one, bummer too.

I am at just over 1/2" for the 2-day total, weird how a few miles can make a huge difference. I remember one time when we had our larger "farm", a storm came up and ran down our county road, wet on one side dry on the other, I had to get my wife its was so bazaar.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #279  
Lots of thunder last night and an 1" by about 10 am. Still drizzling off and on and they say there will be more this afternoon and evening. It's all much appreciated and my newly dug tank is close to full.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #280  
I am at just over 1/2" for the 2-day total

Yep, Dennis, in addition to the 1.08" I mentioned above, I've gotten over a half inch since 7:30 this morning. I went to Walmart on the north side of Denton about 10:20 this morning, got back about 11:25 and it looked like it had been snowing in my neighborhood, but it's piles of sleet.