Texas Grapple Shootout

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #111  
How much were they asking for that? Love to have that on my tractor, but the haven't responded to my emails.

/ Texas Grapple Shootout
How much were they asking for that? Love to have that on my tractor, but the haven't responded to my emails.

They did not respond right away to my e-mails also, which made me a little worried about them but they came through. They do answer the phone (90% of the time) and after I talked with them they sent some e-mails of their current models, the ones with the slotted backs to protect the tractor. Once we got the specifics finalized they only took about a week and a half build it and ship it. The total cost with the extra tooth and 1" solid teeth was $2500. Shipping from Florida to my front gate in Texas was $200.

I was comparing it to the Faver which would have been about $800 more total and 8 weeks later and bottom teeth further apart. Faver does not do custom work.
Skid Steer Grapple | Faver

One benefit I found was the way the back of the teeth supports form a "V" to really help grab those stubborn trees and bushes. I was initially concerned that limbs and trees would get stuck there but so far everything has fallen out of the "V"s easily when I dump it.

Last edited:
   / Texas Grapple Shootout #113  
Don--Great looking Grapple. Now comes the "Grapple Envy", again.............I've got to stop looking at these grapple threads.

Charlie

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #114  
Nice. Should be able to clean up all the brush and other scrap easily with that setup. :thumbsup:

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #115  
Congrats Don .. That's a dandy and just what you wanted and needed!!

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #116  
Got Grapple!

It's from TheRakeShop.com
Light class grapple (plus)
60"
bottom teeth 1" thick with 6.5" spacing
Open 41.5"
Shipping weight 700#

Looks great! And if this is what they call "light" duty, I'd like to see their heavy duty ones.

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #117  
txdon - What a GREAT looking grapple!! I think that's what I want to go with. In Ohio, we have an invasive shrub called honeysuckle. My woods are full of it and it will take over everything if you don't stay on it. If you cut it, it will just come back. So you have to pull it out by the roots. I was really encouraged to see the pics of you pulling the mesquite out by the roots. I think that mesquite is tougher than the honeysuckle which is a shallow rooted plant.

I have a JD 3520 (35 HP) with a 300CX FEL. Any opinions on how wide I can/should go with something like this? I'm thinking that I want to go narrower rather than wider for total width. And, like txdon, I want to go with less spacing between the tines rather than wider.

Now should there be a single lid for a 54" or a double lid? pros/cons
Should the back of the grapple have a wire mesh to see through and not let limbs poke the tractor? pros/cons

I don't think that I ever saw anyone address the single vs. double lid question. Any opinions on that?

I will also be using mine to pull fallen/cut trees out of my woods.

Again, txdon - CONGRATS on a great attachment! This thread has been really helpful for me!

/ Texas Grapple Shootout
Mark02tj, The bucket on my tractor is 72" but I wanted something that would just about cover the front tires (63") and the 60" seems to feel about right on this size tractor. If you go with something smaller a single lid would be OK. I have mixed feeling on a single or double lid. I did notice that on some loads one lid would close down lower securing the load tighter. When pulling the brush out it was about 50/50 if the bush was in the middle or toward one end on the first swipe but subsequent sweeps to widen the path the side jaws were better. I think with a 35hp tractor - unless changed - he will use 3/4" bottom teeth to reduce the weight.

For dead limbs and trees any grapple will be good. I especially wanted this particular one to do that and be able to easily dig deep to pop up roots. The curved teeth without the crossbar sink into the ground just as I imagined they would. I drive forward and tilt the grapple back slowly to take advantage of the curl.

The live brush/small trees are taken out in one of three ways with this grapple: 1. The teeth pop the roots out. 2. The jaws clampdown and I pull the bush/small tree out. 3. The "V" at the back of the teeth traps the stems and I push them out.

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #119  
Very nice Don! That looks like the perfect size for your tractor. You'll only not like it when you need it and it's not on the loader.;)

/ Texas Grapple Shootout #120  
Somehow we missed the story of your customized Canopy shape?:laughing:

It looks like what a lot of us Yankees have done to ours..