Texas Heat!

/ Texas Heat! #21  
I do not envy you guys at all. I was 24 before I shipped out of Texas in the Navy, so I got a lot of experience working in that crap. Summer of '80 I was building houses at The Colony (not so far from you Bird) and there was 45 straight days of over 102ー. We would be at the jobsite before daybreak and off by noon. I can't even imagine working in that now.

Yesterday: Sunny and 65ー for my day of yardwork. :cool:

Were you working for Fox & Jacobs? In 1972, we bought a new house way out on the north edge of Carrollton (just north of Trinity Mills Road), so it's way down in Carrollton now. But in 1977, we moved to another new home in the southwest corner of Dallas. I think Fox & Jacobs just started The Colony about 1972, didn't they?

This whole area has grown so much that you wouldn't even recognize The Colony now.

As for "starting at daybreak and off by noon." In 1994 I was doing leakage surveys for gas companies; walking all the lines and checking the underground lines and up to and including the meters. And I went from one town to another in west Texas all summer. So I'd start as soon as it was light enough for me to read gas meter numbers without a flashlight; usually went until 2:30 or 3 p.m.

/ Texas Heat! #22  
Were you working for Fox & Jacobs? In 1972, we bought a new house way out on the north edge of Carrollton (just north of Trinity Mills Road), so it's way down in Carrollton now. But in 1977, we moved to another new home in the southwest corner of Dallas. I think Fox & Jacobs just started The Colony about 1972, didn't they?

This whole area has grown so much that you wouldn't even recognize The Colony now.

As for "starting at daybreak and off by noon." In 1994 I was doing leakage surveys for gas companies; walking all the lines and checking the underground lines and up to and including the meters. And I went from one town to another in west Texas all summer. So I'd start as soon as it was light enough for me to read gas meter numbers without a flashlight; usually went until 2:30 or 3 p.m.

Started with Fox & Jacobs around 1977. I was working for a custome home builder around Flower Mound and was laid off. I had seen the work at the Colony so I decided to see if they had any openings. I think the interview went something like "when can you start". Lots of construction then and a fine wage for a pretty green house builder.

I saw more than guy fall to heat exhaustion.

/ Texas Heat! #23  
Bird, take it easy out there!!

I went on a 2 hr tree seedling watering spree yesterday afternoon, bad idea too. I sweat till there was none, then started getting the "light headed" thing so called it an afternoon.

I have always been sensitive to heat, my wife says if we could make a living, I should be in Alaska, I like cool weather:thumbsup:

Dennis, daughter's place was so dry it didn't take much effort, or very long, to mow. But you know we have an 81 year old man living alone next door, and his back yard had grown up in grass and weeds knee high. If anyone had reported it, the city would have made him clean it up. And I would have done it long before now, except back when it was cool, he set out some little peach trees and some grape vines, even a little garden, and he's a pack rat (nice guy but accumulates more junk than he knows what to do with. So anyway, I worked on his yard when I got back from my daughter's place. I burned up a whole tank of gas in the Stihl FS55RC string trimmer, then only spent 45 minutes on the Toro ZTR.:laughing: But the heat was beginning to get to me by the time I finished at noon.

As for Alaska. You know my parents moved to Anchorage in 1965. Both of my brothers were in the Air Force back then, and one got transferred to Elmendorf in 1965, got out in 1967 and stayed up there. The other brother got out of the Air Force in 1968 in California, went to Anchorage to visit, and stayed 20 years.:laughing: After the big earthquake in 1964, jobs were plentiful in Alaska. I had started on the Dallas police department in 1964, got married in 1965, but I was seriously thinking about going to Alaska to escape the heat when the police department got their first air-conditioned cars in 1968 and I got promoted to sergeant in 1968 so that convinced me to stay down here in the heat.:laughing:

/ Texas Heat! #24  
I've seen it this hot this early before, but I can't remember it being this hot and the wind blowing this hard and this long. We need some relief soon. Yesterday afternoon and this afternoon are unbearable an the wind is kicking up the sand the likes I haven't seen in East Texas.

Charlie

Usually it seems that when it gets hot, the wind dies completely, but here today at 3 p.m., it 102 degrees with the wind at 24, gusting to 33 mph.:(

/ Texas Heat! #25  
I occasionally work in Dallas and Phoenix in summer and the only way I can descibe it is oppressive. It's like walking around in an oven...In Phoenix the tap water stays warm no matter how long you run it. :laughing:

Though on the rare occasions when my brother comes up to visit us here in Jersey in winter (he lives in Florida) he can hardly get the chill out of him. It's almost pitiful to see him like that. My understanding is it has to do with thinning of the blood.

Keep on keepin on down there.

/ Texas Heat! #26  
Heat Shock - when one boards an Air Force HOP at Elmendorf AFB Anchorage temp. 48°F and raining. Fly 11 hours nonstop to Hill AFB Ogden UT and step off the plane into an atmosphere of 107°F as the sun sets over the Great Salt Lake. Long sleeve Khaki didn't do me any favors either. OH, but it was a dry heat.:laughing:

/ Texas Heat! #27  
Usually it seems that when it gets hot, the wind dies completely, but here today at 3 p.m., it 102 degrees with the wind at 24, gusting to 33 mph.:(

Thank goodness for that wind. Just got back from the farm, where I was doing my weekend chores. The moving air made it tolerable. Didn't feel like I was sweating, and my shirt was dry, but still covered in salt.

Can't drink enough water right now. I feel like sitting in the bottom of the pool and sucking the pool dry.

/ Texas Heat!
Bird, you could have just "tossed" a match and mowed every body's yard for miles!!!:eek:

Been water particular areas of lawn, mostly the flower beds and the St Aug. small area, but let it run for 30 minutes each time and got no runoff. I suppose my water will drift with the wind towards you East Texas boy's.

I think it's 12 o clock somewhere so it's time for :drink: (tea)

/ Texas Heat! #29  
Bird, you could have just "tossed" a match and mowed every body's yard for miles!!!:eek:

Been water particular areas of lawn, mostly the flower beds and the St Aug. small area, but let it run for 30 minutes each time and got no runoff. I suppose my water will drift with the wind towards you East Texas boy's.

I think it's 12 o clock somewhere so it's time for :drink: (tea)

Shhhh. . . Did you look at the radar and what's movin' our way? Don't want to say this too loud and scare it away.:eek:

/ Texas Heat!
Yeah! no body look, be very very quite:cool:

(whisper) went out and see big black clouds, checked radar as Jim did and,, we might have an accident and where did that come from??? going to get on my swimming trunks and sit in a lawn chair:D