Texas Question for Bird

/ Texas Question for Bird #31  
Bird, on the deer, IMO it's a combination of all those things.
Now, down around Artesia Wells is the Light Ranch. When I was down there I met George Light IV, he introduced himself as Quatro Light. Kind of a character, he didn't like pick ups so he drove around the ranch in a Delta 88. But, it must run in the family, because every day I would see Tres Light going to the Post Office in the shiniest baby blue Cadallac I have ever seen/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Wearing his Stetson of course./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
If you have been to Medina, maybe you visited Castroville. The little Alsace of Texas. I spent a lot of time there in my teen years. My first wife was from a near by small town called Lacoste. And yes, all my ex's live in Texas/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Ernie
18-75442-sanjacinto_s2.jpg

/ Texas Question for Bird #32  
>>The aquifer cannot support more wells--many of them being used to water flowers, bushes and large plots of grass<<

And catfish farms....

Alan L., TX

/ Texas Question for Bird #33  
Yep, Ernie, I've been to Castroville, but know nothing about the Light Ranch. Speaking of those cadillacs, though, when I was at the Y-O Ranch, my '72 Chrysler wagon drug high center several times on that 8 miles "driveway", so I would have thought the Schrieners only drove pickups, but Charlie III was driving a cadillac; made me wonder how long the bottom lasts on one./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Texas Question for Bird #34  
<font color=blue>I wonder how it will all turn out?</font color=blue>
Texan landowners will lose thier right of free capture. Thats how it will turn out. Thanks to the greed of a few people, and the foolishness of some enviromental groups. Alan mentions the catfish farm. How many more of these can the taxpayers buy out for millions of dollars? The lack of water has always been a problem, and always will be. People need to learn to live with it. I wonder if the rest of the state realizes the situation?

Ernie
18-75442-sanjacinto_s2.jpg

/ Texas Question for Bird #35  
Hi Bird,
If we get to go to Texas, I will definately let you know. As
you probably know, the government moves very slow. When
they decide to proceed with this, if they do, I will be on the
road headed that way. Might be an argument about who
buys dinner. Maybe we can swap a few cop stories while
I'm there. Thanks, Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Texas Question for Bird #36  
<font color=blue>As you probably know, the government moves very slow.</font color=blue>

Ain't it the truth?/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I'll look forward to hearing from you, and wish you luck with the deal.

Bird

/ Texas Question for Bird #37  
Rick-
I drive to KC almost every year from Houston - 13 hours - It doesn't matter if you go through Topeka and down 35 or down to Ft Smith then I40 and come down 69 through Okla to Dallas - same time --the latter is a prettier drive and it may depend on what part of KC you're leaving from which would be better.
However - I have to contradict Bird on 1960 - too many stop and go lights and way too much traffic. Spend the 3 dollars and take loop 8 (toll) around the west side to I10 --- be careful not to miss the Sealy exit - it's not a real big town - AND if you make it ..I think it's the first weekend of the month .. they have a big auction of tractors, machinery, trailers, and you name it at the sale barn in town. ( I drive through Sealy every weekend I go to the country - I come up 36 and jump on I-10 there headed west)
When you're done with business take 1094 out of Sealy to 109 then north to Brenham. This will do 2 things .. 1. you'll see some real pretty countryside and German community type places and 2. You'll be looking at wctractors when you come to the intersection of 109 and 290 in Brenham. (you could maybe do some business there too)
mike

/ Texas Question for Bird #38  
Rick
My property is 6 miles west of Columbus and 5 miles south of I10. Columbus is an old historic town about 20 minutes west of Sealy. If you had the time, would be worth a ride for a few hours. It is in Colorado County (www.rtis.com/reg/colorado-cty/)
My property is rolling, sandy soil with a lot of live oaks, post oaks, & hickory trees. No pines at all. A lot of wildlife and as others have posted, the deer are on the small side.
If you drive south from Dallas, as Bird said, you want to miss "downtown traffic" but take the Sam Houston tollway around the city. Faster than FM1960.
The plant (west of town) is a Stewart & Stevenson plant that makes military vechiles. They have a VERY steep test hill behind the plant and I could see why they need your tilt-meter!!! I would not want to try it on my B2400!
Bill

/ Texas Question for Bird #39  
Rick
If you meet Bird in Corsicana, make sure he shows you how to get to the fruit cake place!

/ Texas Question for Bird #40  
<font color=blue>I have to contradict Bird on 1960</font color=blue>

Feel free to do so./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif It's been quite a few years since I was in Houston and I'll gladly defer to someone more familiar with it.

Bird