Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #11  
And another sign of Spring and rain . . . I've noticed fire ant mounds around my neighborhood, so far only one in our yard.

Fire ants seem to have exploded around here, hardly saw any during the drought last summer, but now they are everywhere.

One thing my wife and I have noticed, is the lack of honey bees, I have had 2 hives on my place, 1 for 6 years and one that showed up 2 years ago, both hives seem to have vanished. Waling around the flower beds and in the plum patches, hardly a bee when usually there so think you can hear them.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #12  
Sure is green around here,grabbed a few picture while at my parents at the other end of the place.
parents house.jpgparents house2.JPGmarch17 row pic.jpg

In the last picture looks like going to lose some oaks

Last edited:
   / Texas Spring/Summer Thread #13  
Charlie, I bought some veggie seeds at TSC and asked my wife yesterday how the garden was since the last rain storm. She said it was still a bit muddy when she was checking it Thur. morning. So I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to see if I can get stuff planted. I don't want to wait until the end of March to get the seed into the ground.

Jim, I got a late start last year then the weather really hurt us. I'm hoping Mother Nature is a little better to us this year. I found some nice looking Celebrity tomatos the other day and I'm going to run to nursery over towards Pittsburg that is suppose to have some good looking tomatos on Monday, but I'm going to try to get what I've got in the ground today, and move my spot for Herbs over closer to the house.

It was pretty windy yesterday so maybe it will be dry enough.

Charlie

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #14  
Has anyone ever seen white bluebonnets? Okay, that's a bit of an oxymoron, I know, so maybe I should say white lupines in with the bluebonnets since they are both lupines. On a hillside (bridge underpass) in Bowie, Tx, there are white lupines mixed in with the bluebonnets. Everything about them is the same except they are white. I can only guess that the state provided seeds includes some of both types. There are far more blue than white, but the white ones really stand out. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen them? If they are rare, I'll try to get a picture of them and post it here.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #15  
We added about a football field to the yard Sat. Been finding scorpions when we are cleaning up, they are still sluggish but still scared the Lovely Wife. Letty and I are looking to get started on cutting in a garden, we are thinking of the north end of the hill. We took a few pictures of the bluebonnets and the kids.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #16  
I am off today, going for some seat time mowing this morning. The rain is coming, heavy stuff still out west by Abilene and Wichita Falls. According to the radar Jinman and Western should be getting wet now with light rain. Flash flood watch till Tuesday night, forecast is 3"-6" inches.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #17  
Ponds are full, lots of green grass. Summer grasses are just starting to come up, I'll be putting out fertilizer in a few weeks. More rain is on the way, hope this trend keeps up. I took my '56 White to a small tractor show Saturday, people are feeling much better about the weather, hoping to have good pastures and cut lots of hay if the rain continues.

Attachments

• IMG_2036.JPG
    IMG_2036.JPG
    731 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    749.6 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2037.JPG
    IMG_2037.JPG
    602.9 KB · Views: 318
   / Texas Spring/Summer Thread #18  
I am off today, going for some seat time mowing this morning. The rain is coming, heavy stuff still out west by Abilene and Wichita Falls. According to the radar Jinman and Western should be getting wet now with light rain. Flash flood watch till Tuesday night, forecast is 3"-6" inches.

Not a drop here so far, The storm is West of Jim and I about a county and a half. I can see how this one will hand out allot of rain, the way it is moving NNE, it is running where the back of the storm follows the front somewhat.

I have the high winds though, every bit of what NOAA says (40mph)

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #19  
Storms getting closer, wind has dropped to near zero!