Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #901  
I love puppies and kittens, but there isn't much cuter than a newborn calf. Calves and kids (baby goats) are two of the cutest things on earth.

We had to bring a calve born yesterday into the house,was born way early at the most 30lbs,has all its hair but to short to nurse,looks like I will be bottle feeding one for awhile but not staying in house,cause inside dogs got moved to chicken coop,something got all my chickens so raising 13chicks right now also. Happy Easter,everyone!!!

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #903  
It is supposed to rain quite a bit over the next few days (Hope so!). To show the condition of our lake and my deepest pond, I took some photos yesterday. If we get rain, I'll post more photos to show the contrast.

I used to have lakefront property, but in this photo you can see that the lake has pulled back so far from my shoreline that now I only have a view of the lake. I wouldn't want to try and launch a boat from my shoreline.

Dry-Dry-4-1-2013-01.jpg

Here are three pictures that show my view from my property from left to right as I stand on my shore.

Dry-Dry-4-1-2013-02.jpg

Dry-Dry-4-1-2013-03.jpg

Dry-Dry-4-1-2013-04.jpg

It's all pretty sad. In this photo of my pond that is 12.5' deep when full, you can see that it is down 4' to 5'. The rocks I put on the jutted out portion to the right in the photo are beginning to show. I've never seen this pond this low since I cleaned it out.

Dry-Dry-4-1-2013-05.jpg

I just hope my next series of photos shows a major change. It would take at least a 5 inch rain to fill up the lake, but 2 or 3 inches would fill my pond nicely.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #904  
Maybe I'll get some photos of my stock tank. It went dry 2 years ago, for the first time ever. Last year, we had some rain, and added water to it, but not enough to fill it. It is almost 20 feet deep, on the deep end, when full, but isn't much more than a puddle now. It would take more than 5-6 inches of rain to fill it up.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #905  
Nice light drizzle right now, the best kind:thumbsup: Put in the Apple trees yesterday, was kind of hesitant with a forecast of allot of rain, but had to be done.

Jim, nice time to build one of those "floating docks" in that corp tank!!

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #906  
.2 inches on Tuesday, more due on Wed.

Mesquites on my place not hit by recent cold. However, some areas are.
Yesterday I was driving thru Georgetown, looked over at a pasture filled with 10 foot high mesquite growth. Top half, nice green. Bottom half, turning brown. Looks like it was coldest at ground level and froze first few feed of mesquite leaves, those up high were still above freezing.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #907  
We are up to 6/10". Are we going to get more today?

It looks like the lower mesquite froze all the way south to at least to Hwy 290. Kyle have you seen any low lying brown mesquite on your side of 290?
2013 - the year the mesquite was fooled.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
Either yesterday or the day before, I saw a TV weatherman who predicted we might get over 3" of rain. Well, as of 6:30 this morning, we've gotten .4" of it. More rain is still in the forecast, though, so we can hope.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #909  
1.25" since Tuesday morning!!!! Woohoo!! :cool2: They say we have a chance of rain today, but the radar appears that all of the rain has moved east of me. Maybe more clouds will grow. Of course, it is 50 degrees with a cold north wind. I am sick of jacket weather, but am sure happy about the rain!

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #910  
A nice slow shower overnight dropped 0.85" here. It's around 43 F here this morning, but feels cooler outside due to the N. breeze.

Yesterday, with no rain, I went out and weeded (dug & pulled nutgrass) my three 80' rows of onions and two rows of sugar snap peas. The ground was soft and allowed me to pull and dig the nutgrass easily. I'm sure it will come back, but at least I slowed it down. Where I treated with Roundup last fall, the nutgrass is not growing. I'll have to treat the rest of the garden this fall. If I can reduce the amount of nutgrass, the other weeds in my garden are easy to manage.

The ground sure is fluffy since I tilled about 6 times since last fall and then used my hiller attachment to throw up raised beds. Those beds keep the rain water from flooding the plants too. The water collects in the furrows and then flows off. I'm hoping bottom-up watering will encourage deep roots on all my veggies too. For now, I haven't lost any of my 46 tomatoes. All the plants look healthy with no transplant shock. I'm gathering about 3 lb of asparagus every three days, and thats leaving a few spears to mature. It's growing like gangbusters.:)