Thanks to JOHNTHOMAS & bp fick

/ Thanks to JOHNTHOMAS & bp fick #1  

PhilVA

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000DT, Kubota B2320HST
Been a member of TBN since 2003. Still own my L3000DT 4WD with LA452 FEL. Through the years I have added many implements for use around our horse farm. That tractor has been a solid workhorse through all the things we've done together. It has somewhere near 600 hours on it. I fully admit that I have gotten it stuck twice; once down to the front axles (don't ask).

I recently decided to look at a replacement for our JD LX280 mower because our land is not golf course quality and it is starting to take its toll on the little JD. I use a bush hog to take care of the pastures but it is not practical around the barn and house. I have my eyes on either a BX2370 or something in the B lineup. I am leaning toward the BX for basically mowing duties but have a few smaller implements that I can use with it as needed. I'm not yet fully committed to the BX as I'm still reading about the differences between it and the B series. I will not be purchasing a FEL with this tractor as my L will do all I need it to do.

I want to thank both JOHNTHOMAS and bp fick for the wonderful information they have provided about these little tractors. Having access to this type of information and first hand knowledge is invaluable. Thank you both.

Phil

/ Thanks to JOHNTHOMAS & bp fick #2  
Glad to be of assistance. I bought my first tractor 11 years ago, a BX2200 FEL MMM knowing nothing to very little. Had been told diesel hp different than gas hp, 4wd equal to double hp (by old farmers that had tractors)and Kubota was $3000 less than Green and $2500 less than blue. Have bought several more over the years and enjoyed it. Done spent the money so glad to share my experience.

/ Thanks to JOHNTHOMAS & bp fick #3  
Phil, you're most welcome.

I have only had changed out twice over the last 6 years, but in both cases, it was the right move. Sold both myself and didn't hardly lose a dime. When you count the use? "Rent" was about a dollar a day. The same BX purchased 7 years ago is now priced almost $2000 higher. This likely explains why re-sale value holds so solid on a well maintained, garage kept tractor. I have also found that buying a tractor without a FEL is a serious commitment because it is a whole lot tougher to sell, if you need to, on the back end.

Hope you get that new machine soon and you're as happy with your choice as can be!!!
They're both great Kubota models, targeted at slightly different audiences. They're different. Some folks just see "bigger" and assume it's better. Some folks buy the BX when they should have gotten the B series and vice versa.

What I have found is simple. If your needs change and as life brings changes, have the machine that meets your needs, not what someone else tells you to buy, just because they did. You don't need anyone else's confirmation or approval for your decision.

Happy tractoring.

/ Thanks to JOHNTHOMAS & bp fick #4  
I'm with Phil...really appreciate your experienced and constructive input. I find it very valuable.

Also, an update. I went to the local Kubota dealership yesterday and both spent some seat time in a BX2370 and a B2320...both with FEL. I also dragged in my 6'X10' single axle trailer and drove each up on the trailer while on my truck.

First the trailer. As all have said...the 6'X10' is marginally "OK" with the BX w/o any attachment on the back...and the loader either locked "floating" or resting on the trailer tongue...again I would not be too nervous using the trailer for a one time transport...but not comfortable for regular transport between my two property locations even though they are only 30 miles apart. The B series with extra weight just seemed both too long and too heavy. Confirmed what I thought but nice to see up close. BTW...a customer came in to make a pick up of his track loader and he had a 22' with a drive on deck and also a 5' front fixed shelf where he can place something such as an additional attachment or whatever. While 22' is overkill...I could see 18'...or maybe even 20'. If I had a CUT with loader and rear attachment and also wanted to trailer my DR brush mower or lawn tractor it might be nice. Ya I know...you have to store it in the meantime :) Also, LOVED the drive on deck!

Second...I enjoyed both tractors and was reminded that the BX is not a lawn tractor and i can see why many love it...very nimble. I also liked the B and found it quite nimble. One item...I found the engine noise louder and more noticeable on the BX? I drove it first and my first notion was...you certainly will need ear protection. One the B I would probably wear ear protection but did not seem as loud as the BX. I tried each at different forward speeds and different engine speeds. Generally I like driving the B a bit better.

Also, looked underneath and really do like the ground clearance of the B and the underneath seems "cleaner" of "things" that could get messed up by ground impediments.

As an aside...dealer had a B2350(?) w/loader and backhoe already installed. He said it had been assembled at a Kubota training session for their engineers...showing what the dealers go through to mount up equipment when they receive the tractor. Kubota dealer is a friend of mine...I used to work in an office next to his before he purchased the Bobcat/Kubota dealership...he is a straight shooter. Says he brought it in as his son's girlfriend's father supposedly wanted one. Says time has gone buy and his son does not want to bug his GFs father so it is for sale. He said they did not pay Kubota for any labor of assembly and he should be able to price out pretty well. Looking for a quote today. While it may be higher than I want to pay...I have the feeling that I would use a backhoe quite a bit on my land and trails. We shall see.

Also, the dealer has a BX25D that he rents out. Was not available this weekend but I think it makes a lot of sense to rent this for a weekend and have some specific tasks lined up to get the feel...both of the backhoe and the BX line. I think it is about $200-300 for a weekend. He also rents a mini-excavator for not too much more per weekend. Starting to think maybe I should line up work and rent a few times to determine my actual time "appetite" for tractor duties. Maybe 2-3 rentals per season...loader/backhoe and mini-excavator...would be a good way to determine how many hours I might want/need per season...

Thanks Again for your help...I will keep you posted...Tom R

/ Thanks to JOHNTHOMAS & bp fick #5  
<snip>
First the trailer. As all have said...the 6'X10' is marginally "OK" with the BX w/o any attachment on the back...and the loader either locked "floating" or resting on the trailer tongue...again I would not be too nervous using the trailer for a one time transport...but not comfortable for regular transport between my two property locations even though they are only 30 miles apart. The B series with extra weight just seemed both too long and too heavy. Confirmed what I thought but nice to see up close. BTW...a customer came in to make a pick up of his track loader and he had a 22' with a drive on deck and also a 5' front fixed shelf where he can place something such as an additional attachment or whatever. While 22' is overkill...I could see 18'...or maybe even 20'. If I had a CUT with loader and rear attachment and also wanted to trailer my DR brush mower or lawn tractor it might be nice. Ya I know...you have to store it in the meantime :) Also, LOVED the drive on deck!
My 18' Hudson fits my B7610 just fine. They were bought together.
tractor 015small.jpg

But my M4700 is a squeeze :)
20140427_103025.jpg

<snip> One item...I found the engine noise louder and more noticeable on the BX? I drove it first and my first notion was...you certainly will need ear protection. One the B I would probably wear ear protection but did not seem as loud as the BX. I tried each at different forward speeds and different engine speeds. Generally I like driving the B a bit better.

Also, looked underneath and really do like the ground clearance of the B and the underneath seems "cleaner" of "things" that could get messed up by ground impediments.
Remember the B develops the HP at a lower RPM with a higher engine.
<snip>
Also, the dealer has a BX25D that he rents out. Was not available this weekend but I think it makes a lot of sense to rent this for a weekend and have some specific tasks lined up to get the feel...both of the backhoe and the BX line. I think it is about $200-300 for a weekend. He also rents a mini-excavator for not too much more per weekend. Starting to think maybe I should line up work and rent a few times to determine my actual time "appetite" for tractor duties. Maybe 2-3 rentals per season...loader/backhoe and mini-excavator...would be a good way to determine how many hours I might want/need per season...

Thanks Again for your help...I will keep you posted...Tom R
Home Depot rents also Kubota BX25 Tractor Loader Backhoe Rental | Tractor Loader Backhoe | Compact Power Equipment Rental A BX25 costs about $250/day or $750/week. My son's neighbor just rented one for a week.

/ Thanks to JOHNTHOMAS & bp fick
UPDATE - 7/3/14

Well, the decision has been made. Visited the dealer both yesterday and today to spend some time with both the BX2370 and the B2320. After driving them around the test facility the decision was not so tough for me. First impressions can provide some sway but I tried to look beyond that and find teh things that appealed most to me.

Here are some of those impressions (mostly just driving around, not any real ground-engaging work):

BX2370 does have a bit of a noticeable whine. I brought my normal ear protection with me and the whine pierced through that. Personally, I did not like that but it wan not so bad as to be a deal breaker.

Both units are very nimble. I was really surprised here as my point of reference is my L3000DT, which turns like the Queen Mary (ok, that may be an exaggeration). However, both of these units could turn inside my 3000.

The HST on both units was very responsive even during abrupt transitions, forward to reverse and vice-versa.

The wide open deck/platform is a blessing. Makes both units seem very spacious. Couple that with the way the controls and information panels are laid out make both easy on the operator to see and know what is going on.

The seats on both are extremely comfortable, although the winner here is the BX series seat. That thing is just shy of a Lazy-Boy recliner. No worries with long seat time here.

Bottom line for me - I would have been happy with either one. Ultimately, the B2320 won out as I can use many more of my 3 pt implements with it versus the BX2370. Dealer said mine should arrive in a week or so. I forget who said it, either JOHNTHOMAS or bp fick, but the estimate of roughly 14% off MSRP was spot on. I did only slightly better at a 14.5%. Knowing that percentage up front was a big help in negotiating a good deal. The dealer's first offer was a good one but I asked him to sharpen his pencil a bit. I'm satisfied with the deal and can't wait until the B2320 arrives.

Once again, big thank you to JOHNTHOMAS and bp fick! I am bowing in your general direction. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

Phil

/ Thanks to JOHNTHOMAS & bp fick #7  
Congrats... I am sure you will be quite happy.

/ Thanks to JOHNTHOMAS & bp fick #9  
Congratulations on your new tractor purchase and I agree JOHNTHOMAS and bp fick have been a great resource for many of us.:thumbsup:

/ Thanks to JOHNTHOMAS & bp fick #10  
Congratulations on your new tractor purchase and I agree JOHNTHOMAS and bp fick have been a great resource for many of us.:thumbsup:
ditto :thumbsup::thumbsup: