That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again !

/ That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again ! #11  
Let it rip !!

I've got two:

1) Guy I used to work with..... lives around the corner. Twice now has asked me to clean out his driveway (he rents). Says he'll happily pay whatever its worth to me. Property owner is supposed to be doing it, included in the rent (he claims). Hasn't been seen since. Figure after the first time, no big deal, he'll get me on the second one. If I did it a third time, I'd be the fool for sure.

2) Guy up at the corner. He has a walk behind blower, but after the last storm he asked if I'd clean out the end of his driveway (town plow does a good job of filling it in) since it would "take six hours to clean out with my walk behind". No problem. Been a week ....... have yet to recieve a simple 'thank you'.

For the record, I have an elderly couple across the street I clean out free of charge. The husband is in no condition to be shoveling their driveway (its small)...... yet he is frequently out there with a shovel in his hands. They have never asked me to do it, and always make it known they appreciate it by thanking me. Couple storms ago they slipped me a bottle of Crown Royal. :licking: I'm happy to assist...... perhaps someone will do it for me one day when I'm old?

But whats up with the able-bodied younger guys expecting it to be done, no compensation, and not so much a simple 'thank you' ?? :confused2:

If you still have snow ... go blow it back in!!!!

/ That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again ! #12  
After my last heart attack I had to tell my neighbour who works long hours not to shovel my drive as I was now able to do it. There are plenty of good people out there I would think more then the other. Mind you my wife keeps an eye on me, she says no to the shovel and that I am too stupid to live, lol.:thumbsup:

/ That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again ! #13  
I help out 3 nieghbors,1 very eldery couple, one newly wed couple and one other.I never minded doing it ,the old gal has helped me put on extra pounds with her baking though:licking: I don,t charge just the way it is around here.I may need their help sometime.It is starting to "smart" a bit with the fuel costs.:(Dave

/ That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again ! #14  
Interesting thread. Since I've never plowed snow, it's something I never thought about.

Eddie

/ That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again ! #15  
Interesting thread. Since I've never plowed snow, it's something I never thought about.

Eddie

But I bet you have stopped to help someone change a tire- or at least slowed down and ask if they needed some help. (You just look like that kind of guy . . .):D

/ That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again ! #16  
I do several neighbors, always have. I don't ask to be paid, just being neighborly. Really large snowfalls are different though. Neighbors I don't know too well will ask, and offer to pay, so I'm obliged to do so. Some of the older people I always do will give me something at the end of winter, but I don't ask or expect it.

/ That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again ! #17  
Problem is, you end up like the neighbour farmer. He starting doing a few neighbours once in a while, never charged a cent. In no time he was up to about 30 driveways spending 6 hours everytime it snowed and breaking his equipment for people who have absolutely no way to ever help or contribute in return. It ended cold turkey when he passed away, and now people can't believe you have to pay money to get your driveway cleared.

I don't know. Where I come from you just help out your neighbors. Sure some give back and some take all they can get with nothing in return.

No different than family IMO.
If you give a loan or do a favor for a family member it's best to just expect nothing in return. Otherwise it creates hard feelings. If it comes back to you..all the better. No different with neighbors IMO. YMMV

I'm not referring to those that plow for money where payment is expected.

/ That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again ! #18  
I go and help since its neighborly. I like the looks and waves from people who say hi after I do a good deed. I dont need to be paid, but its nice to know you are doing a good deed. I don't do it constantly, but whenever I think it would help. you never know when it will pay forward in future.

As for the OP, since it was for a rental- I would be leery from now on. If someone new moves in, and asks you to clear after a big storm, its up to you. You can do it if you got the time once, or you can get on the phone and call the landlord and let you were asked to clear driveway and wanted to know whats the holdup. Dont be going around feeling resented since you weren't paid back directly.

/ That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again ! #19  
I do 8 neighbors drives. Most are about 300' long. 1/2 I get paid for the others I do on trade. 2 are elderly couples. I know they will both watch my daughter in a emergency or whatever. The other couple I trade computer stuff to. The last is my neighbor who has 2 dump trucks, fleet of ZTR mowers, Dozer, Backhoe, ect. We both get a good deal on that one.

Chris

/ That Neighbor You'll NEVER Plow Out / Snowblow Again ! #20  
I do a couple of driveways over at my inlaws (the next two houses on the same side of the street) if we get dumped on. Not enough time to do more, but I enjoy taking the BX2660 out and pushing snow around from inside the cab.

Aaron Z