That wasn't too swift

/ That wasn't too swift #11  
...As far as the Power Service. If you have temperatures that would cause you concern about the fuel jelling, I think you would be far better off if you were to keep the fuel in your tank pre-treated. The addative you have just poured in is merely going to slosh around with the fuel that is in the tank itself. If jelling is a true possability then the untreated fuel that is already in the fuel line and injectors is whats going to jell up and cause your first problems.
I actually treat my fuel all year long. But IMHO, you should be treating your fuel long before cold weather sets in, so that treated fuel has plenty of time to make it's way through the entire fuel system for when the cold weather does hit and jelling can be a concern.

Last weekend, in Lancaster NH - temp 10F, my DK45S slowed to an idle then died. Restarted on low power & limped back into my barn, about 50'. Fuel in tank was purchased in August. Was out of Power Service so went to town & got a quart of Polar Power. Put in a few ounces & restarted. Got full power back in a couple of minutes & worked for another hour without issue.
Next morning it started right up without any help. I think if you catch gelling before it gets real bad the additive mixes & gets into lines/filter quickly.
Have had a few occasions with my Duramax associated with unexpected extreme temp drops where gelling brought me to a stop. Power service & a torch to warm the filter & I was going again. Between home & camp temps can vary 40+ degrees colder in winter. The fuel I buy at home must be treated before heading north. Never had a problem with northern fuel purchased in season. I don't treat all my fuel but try to keep a jug of PS in my truck. MikeD74T

/ That wasn't too swift #12  
Kim.
" I can see that there is some snow in the tank and no doubt some grass "
If I,I would..
Remove tank and clean.
Flush supply line.
New filter also spare filter handy.

Yep it seems like alot of extra work,but if you jell/clogg than the real work begins.
As long as he doesn't drive it anymore what damage does a "jell" or clog cause if he solves the problem in the shop.

If removing the tank is a pain, avoid pain.

I've run diesels since my '79 Rabbit (up to 65 mpg) and have had a couple of gel situations, the first was fixed by hot water along the fuel line, then limping to town for kero, the second I just let it warm up.

As far as a clog if the filter is easily accessible check and maybe change it.
If not:
If the fuel out hose is easy to get to I'd drain it from there and flush with fresh fuel. Checking for foreign material.

If not:
I'd drain the tank with the biggest drain hose I could stick down the tank (so it drained quickly) filtering it with a fine sieve into a 5 gallon bucket, inspect for grass. Then I'd put another 5 gallons in using a drain hose so it poured in on the bottom near where the fuel line is and thus kept everything stirred up and then drain/filter it again. Again checking for grass (or critters). If any foreign material found repeat as needed till clean.

I've seen and caused many problems by carefully disassembling things, where screws get stripped or broke and things don't want to fit back together.

/ That wasn't too swift
The tractor wasn't gelled up. I put the Power Service in to prevent that from happening.
I'll be blowing again this morning as everything I opened up yesterday is blown back shut. Right now I don't think I can get to town to get more diesel with out digging out. The local highway into town still has no unnecessary travel.

Kim

/ That wasn't too swift #14  
Last weekend, in Lancaster NH - temp 10F, my DK45S slowed to an idle then died. Restarted on low power & limped back into my barn, about 50'. Fuel in tank was purchased in August. Was out of Power Service so went to town & got a quart of Polar Power. Put in a few ounces & restarted. Got full power back in a couple of minutes & worked for another hour without issue.
Next morning it started right up without any help. I think if you catch gelling before it gets real bad the additive mixes & gets into lines/filter quickly.
Have had a few occasions with my Duramax associated with unexpected extreme temp drops where gelling brought me to a stop. Power service & a torch to warm the filter & I was going again. Between home & camp temps can vary 40+ degrees colder in winter. The fuel I buy at home must be treated before heading north. Never had a problem with northern fuel purchased in season. I don't treat all my fuel but try to keep a jug of PS in my truck. MikeD74T

It is true that in the winter all diesel fuel is treated at the pump. I for one will not trust that the big oil company has treated it adequatly enough so that I won't have to be laying out on the cold wet ground with a torch and a bunch of cold tools, freezing my *** off trying to get my tractor thawed out and running again. Been There, Done That, Once and only once !
My policy of treating year round works for me and I am sticking with it. A $16 jug of power service last me all year. Pretty Cheap insurnace to make sure that I am not out laying in my driveway some January morning with a dead tractor.

/ That wasn't too swift #15  
It is true that in the winter all diesel fuel is treated at the pump. I for one will not trust that the big oil company has treated it adequatly enough so that I won't have to be laying out on the cold wet ground with a torch and a bunch of cold tools, freezing my *** off trying to get my tractor thawed out and running again. Been There, Done That, Once and only once !
My policy of treating year round works for me and I am sticking with it. A $16 jug of power service last me all year. Pretty Cheap insurnace to make sure that I am not out laying in my driveway some January morning with a dead tractor.

Agree, what's in question is the degree of treatment. Since I live on the seacoast & my fuel comes from Boston, I get fuel that's treated for the projected weather for the week. Sometimes the projection falls short or I travel north to another weather world. I believe your fuel comes from Portland and is for the most part headed for colder climates, you being just south of "up north" :D. I've never had a problem with fuel bought north of the notch that was bought in the appropriate season.
One thing for sure, I'm not trying to talk you out of treating year round. I just keep an eye out for a 30 degree dip by virtue of location or weather pattern before I treat. My running the tractor with untreated last summer's fuel was just due to brain fade brought about by aging. MikeD74T

/ That wasn't too swift #16  
Agree, what's in question is the degree of treatment. Since I live on the seacoast & my fuel comes from Boston, I get fuel that's treated for the projected weather for the week. Sometimes the projection falls short or I travel north to another weather world. I believe your fuel comes from Portland and is for the most part headed for colder climates, you being just south of "up north" :D. I've never had a problem with fuel bought north of the notch that was bought in the appropriate season.
One thing for sure, I'm not trying to talk you out of treating year round. I just keep an eye out for a 30 degree dip by virtue of location or weather pattern before I treat. My running the tractor with untreated last summer's fuel was just due to brain fade brought about by aging. MikeD74T

I buy my diesel from a local Irving station. I have never given it much thought as to where it comes from. Since Irving is an "Up North" company, I bet your right about the Portland origin. You have me curious. I will have to ask next time i am in the irving station.

due to brain fade brought about by aging. MikeD74T
I to suffer from the very same ailment. :)

/ That wasn't too swift #18  
I'd run it down and let the filters (both) do their thing. I dumped some "swill" off the bottom of my above ground heating oil tank in by mistake a few years back. About 50 percent water, it had settled but I didn't catch it until the color went from Red to White. ( I had set the can aside a few months before to burn on the next brushpile) The filters did well until the water in them froze solid. In a pinch to move snow I removed both filters, took them inside and thawed out in a pan of hot water. ( No not on the stove, it's deisel but...) Blew them out and reinstalled them, snow got moved. I'd recommend you reuse the filters a few times until your sure most of the water is out.
I did replace them shortly after, mostly because they where dirty looking.
Long story short, I'd not worry too much. The grass may be a different story but then again these are tractors not Ferrarri's.
Oh, I would reinstall the fuel cap. LOL

/ That wasn't too swift
I used it Sunday morning and it ran fine. This weekend I plan draining what's left of the tank, which isn't going to be much, and replacing filters because it's due for them. I doubt that much of anything got in. See what comes out. I did put the cap back on ;<) It's a wonder the cap didn't fall of the tractor and get lost.

Kim

/ That wasn't too swift #20  
It is true that in the winter all diesel fuel is treated at the pump.
I for one will not trust that the big oil company has treated it adequatly enough so that I won't have to be laying out on the cold wet ground with a torch and a bunch of cold tools, freezing my *** off trying to get my tractor thawed out and running again.
Been There, Done That, Once and only once !
But can you over treat it ?