That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it!

/ That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it!
Look at boat seats. You can find them with different height pedestals, with seats that lock in place so they don't turn, with slides on them to adjust your distance from the wheel. Mine does all those functions and there is no slope in the design. If you don't find the height you want you could make the pedestal.

You know I already ordered a skidsteer seat,but...man that's good idea! Can you post a pic of what you did?

Do you feel it puts you too high in the seat because the steering wheel is too low? If that is the case, the newer (2017+) models have a taller (deeper dish) steering wheel which allows for a more upright seated/steering position. As for the wobble, might I suggest a galvanized rubber hockey puck (yep ice hockey puck). Drill a hole through, bolt/washer/nut and done. Puck (or a 10-pack) is much cheaper on Amazon than trying to use a poly bushing or bumper.

I use hockey pucks for jacking of vehicles (saddle and pinch weld), I replaced the crappy rubber feet on my generator (these won't ever wear or degrade), fixed wobbly items on uneven surfaces.

Guys, I didn't wanna turn this thread into my personal diatribe about all the things that bug me about it, but since you asked... :D

First yeh, the seat wobbles too much. I got inclines and ruts and all sorts of other fun stuff in my yard, and all that stuff needs mowing, takes me like 3 hrs to do it. Just wobbling around is no fun, but added to that, the seat shifts a bit, too. You know, the rotating mechanism in there, it allows for some rotational slop even when it's locked down. It's not too noticeable riding on a nice flat lawn, but I certainly notice it after a while on my terrain.

Another thing, yeh the steering wheel is essentially on my lap, so obviously that's no good. Adding to that, I'm a little guy, only 5'7", and although my feet do reach the foot wells, they're not as squarely planted on there as I would like, with the back of my thighs taking some pressure from that seat.

So, after a few hours of me wobbling around, bouncing and shifting on that seat, thighs taking shade from both the seat and steering wheel...basically all that sux. But also, I just flat out dislike sitting so high up on the tractor. I'm driving up hills and stuff, wobbling around like a pop-up toy, screw that! I wanna sort of sit "in" the tractor so to speak, like I do on my craftsman gt.

And finally *grabs tissue to wipe away tears* I don't like that turn mechanism to face the backhoe, the whole thing feels really janky to me, requires too much effort, and when I do sit facing backward...again I'm short, and my feet aren't as square on the footwells there as well.

/ That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it! #13  
GeneV;5513832 You know I already ordered a skidsteer seat said:
I have NOT used a boat seat but have boat just replaced interior and studied the seats and mounts a good bit. There are lots of options there and on mine and many you can lock the seat anywhere in the rotation, it has slide to move seat in and out and some have height adjustment. Some have options in the pedestal height. The seat and the pedestal can be bought separate giving you all kinds of options. Guess what, they are built to be in the weather also. Mine has no wobble, or other loose motion in them.

Yeh, I went looking on amazon after you posted that last message, saw the rotating mechanism that locks and all that.

Here's the funny thing though, and I'm sure this is gonna produce some serious eye rolls lol! You know that seat belt that comes with the tractor? Well, if you use it...you don't bounce around as much. :duh:

/ That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it! #15  
Yeh, I went looking on amazon after you posted that last message, saw the rotating mechanism that locks and all that.

Here's the funny thing though, and I'm sure this is gonna produce some serious eye rolls lol! You know that seat belt that comes with the tractor? Well, if you use it...you don't bounce around as much. :duh:

Could not help but laugh at this. You could be right. Whether I had seat belt on or not would not be happy with a wobbling seat. Now take this with a grain of humor, but maybe just maybe the dress code and the operator might change with the boat seat, producing a much better looking outfit.

No way could a decent boat seat look as strange as some of the other options you will see. Biggest reason people will look strange at it is they had never thought of it themselves. But in the sense of safety the tractor will not be able to float due to the seat change only. My father in law ended up with his in his fish pond about 30 years ago, very blessed no injury. Knew to be safe around ponds and such but that was a good wake up call.

Yessir, one must look good while sitting on the tractor, this is an expensive bit of machinery! Exceptions only made on casual friday.

This is the seat I bought, now gotta fab the mount when I have some time, and find some sort of cushion to attach to the back coz I like luxury. :D seat.2.jpgseat.jpg

Glad your FIL walked away from that, btw. I got a pond as well, with muskrats in it digging tunnels into the banks. It does get scary, I fell through the ground up above my knee before. Collapsing tunnels and refilling them is gonna be a key application for this here tractor, big reason I got it.

/ That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it! #18  
I was told few years back Kenworth was located near I think Boeing in Washington state. They took from the airplane industry items such shape of the cab, to improve their truck and became an industry leader. It is amazing how often there is a great solution to an issue in another industry to solve a problem if you only new about it.

Hey guys, look it. So this ain't a wrap yet, it's not fully where I need it to be, but...pretty close! :cool2:

MVIMG_20190908_145100.jpg
IMG_20190908_145112.jpg
IMG_20190909_202706.jpg

/ That wobbly, uncomfortable, rotating tractor/loader/backhoe seat...hate it! #20  
I definitely feel you. I sometimes feel silly when I sit so high on this tiny tractor. The seat wobble when in use and how clunky it is to turn around for the backhoe is also a pain point. I experienced a crush amputation of my thumb last summer. Ever since, turning the seat around always seems to find sensitive areas of whats left and becomes a painful ordeal.

The wobble subsides a lot when you use the lap belt. I am pretty sure they expect every operator to do this on each use.

It is really easy to not get the notched front of the seat base bracket to slip under and detent on the bottom bracket to stabilize it. It will click and latch in the rear regardless if the front is properly secured. I do this from time to time. Its still a touch wobbly when properly seated, but it's A LOT worse when it's not.

I wonder if the JD TLB seat acts the same way. I hear they break quite often, or an earlier version did.

Seats on SCUTs seem to be a real pain point. I wonder if they would have been better served having engineered a seat with a seatback with cushion on either side that could pivot via hinge and transform to face the operator the other way while having a rail slide underneath to move the seat rearward. No wonky or complicated flip and spins needed for that.