Thawing the pipe

/ Thawing the pipe #21  
Ours went in with two other districts to cut their cost. I help them with their computer work when they need help, with them its a lot;).

/ Thawing the pipe #22  
Welder will work fine. Myself I would just use a light bulb. Keep the wind away and it will open fairly quick. open a tap when you do this.

/ Thawing the pipe #23  
The neighbor did that welder thing a couple years ago and it worked. I didn't think it was going to because the plastic pipe shouldn't have conducted electric, but he ductaped the end of the MIG gun to the suck line just inside of his house and taped the trigger down on the gun.

Once he pulled about half a roll of wire out of the pipe the water went to flowing pretty good.

/ Thawing the pipe #24  
Redneck -- I found a wire that goes inside the pipe and has inch and a quarter fittings with the wire connectors and thermostat and is all up to code:)
Thumper -- the water department is me but now you have me wondering if any of my neighbours has a steam genny:rolleyes:
Doesn't Wallmart sell a hand held steam kitchen cleaner? If it does you could attach silicone tubing to it sent the steam to the water pipe. Perhaps even hair dryer or heat gun would work.
Is the heating cable you found designed to go inside of the water pipe or in parallel pipe in vicinity of the water pipe?

/ Thawing the pipe
   / Thawing the pipe #26  
Redneck --It is a product from these guys and actually fits inside the current pipe
Water Line Heat Trace Freeze Protection For Cottage, Home, Commercial Water Pipe Applications - Heatline
(removed) -- you lost me -- did your neighbour have a loop of wire inside the pipe or did he feed in wire from the mig with the ground connected somewhere by the well head?

Truth to tell the neighbor has always impressed me as a little past daft, so even though I was willing to give him a hand the welder idea made me a bit more than nervous, and I was ducking down behind a sheet of plywood when he flipped the switch. I've heard there are things inside of them welder machines that can explode, and I like all my body parts right where they are.

I went over and asked today, and he says he just used the regular MIG wire, but he didn't use no gas with it, whatever that's all about. He figured since the water has high iron content it should conduct electric and warm up and aparently he was right. He claims he got the idea from the coffee heaters the inmates used when he was a prison guard. I guess he knew what he was doing cause the water did melt and come through the pipe.

/ Thawing the pipe #27  
Studor
Hope you are alive and well drinking bourbon after nice and hot shower. Keep us posted how you got the water running.

/ Thawing the pipe
Ok -- I tried the halogen light thing for about 5 hours with no luck -- so I found some 3/4" pvc conduit that I could make into a long enough length to put into the pipe --- sure enough only managed to get about 11' into what should be about 17' of pipe. I then heated water on the stove and poured it into the conduit. After about 15 gallons of water I had managed to push the conduit in another five feet or so before running out of time and water. I will try the same technique later in the week. What a PITA:(:(

/ Thawing the pipe #29  
I have thawed many a pipe line.

Made my own steamer from an electric kettle using a car rad cap for pressure blowout protection. (actually soldered the kettle bottom to a copper vessle that incorporated a rad filler and pressure cap and fitted cannection for the steam line.

BUT, easy and works great.

Rent a wallpaper steamer, (has the required protection valves) and connect a 3/8" suitable length of rigid plastic line (bulk polyB,like used for speedways) works for me.
Wear heavy gloves as that line gets hot!
Once the steemer starts boiling, pressure builds up and you'll get a good 12" steam jet blowing out the end.
Just poke the end into the pipe and you'll be pushing that line hand over hand melting the ice away.
You do need to use a stiff plastic that stands heat.

Clear vinyle is no, black poly-no, POLY-B is great!

I have steamed out 100 ft lengths that way.

Another trick that works like a charm (when convienient) is an adaptor to the household hot water tank and a small compressor.
Once cleared a 75 ft frozen solid pump line in about 15 mins that way.

Also a pressure tank (BBQ propane tank 1/2 water filled) plumbed with small hose, heat with propane torch and pressurize with small compressor works.

When I say pressure, a mere 5# will suffice, just enough to push the hot/boiling water out.

Good luck!

When thawed out leave the water running slightly as moving water will not freeze!

/ Thawing the pipe
Just a quick thanks to everyone who contributed -- finally got it all back together and thawed today. The internal heat wire will be ordered this week:eek:
The total distance in ice was about 5'. Ironically I have about 30 acres of water in front of the house now with the rains and thawing this past week -- water water eveywhere bit none in the pressure tank :(:( (until today)