The Adapter Saga Continues

/ The Adapter Saga Continues #11  
Mark

Weld a large logging chain to the adapter. Attach the other end to the front bumper of your car. Make sure you have plenty of slack, put tractor in high gear at wide open throttle. Take off as fast as you can. Something will come loose. I promise. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Just kidding/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Seriously though. It sounds like something is in the locking groove on the shaft. Have you tried turning the locking hole in the adaptor to the bottom and tapping with a hammer to see if anything comes out? If there is, your idea of carb cleaner might free it up. I like brake cleaner better because it evaporates completely in a short time. Can you see through the hole?

I wish I had a better idea. Good Luck

/ The Adapter Saga Continues
John,
The 2 bolts that you see are merely big set screws (allen screw w/ a nut for locking ) All they do is tighten down on the pump shaft once, it is inserted into the adapter. There are no bolts through the PTO shaft. I wish there were. I would feel Really Stupid, but my problem would be solved.

CSAW,
<font color=blue>Can you see through the hole?</font color=blue>

Yes, I can now look through the hole the pin was in.
I don't see anything in there that would be causing the problem, but there is definately something that is preventing the adapter from sliding off.

/ The Adapter Saga Continues #14  
Here is a way out idea, but as it looks like you have tried nearly everything else, might as well think about it.

I had a compact tractor, that had a hole drilled all te way through the pto shaft ( off axis, not down the center of the shaft into the tractor ).
In that hole, someone had put a roll pin. ( We call them roll pins.. but it is basically a thin peice of metal rolled up on itself, slightly larger diameter than the hole. It will compress ( roll up on itself further ) slightly to allow it to be driven in.

Mine had one in it from a previous owner, and once worked free a bit so that .25" was up... I had a devil of a time getting a splined adapter off of that pto shaft.
just an idea of a cause.

Keep us informed.

Soundguy

Soundguy,
That could be a very distinct possibility. How did you finally wind up getting yours off ?

/ The Adapter Saga Continues #16  
<font color=blue>…a roll pin…You may also check for a "hidden compressed lock pin" through your adaptor…</font color=blue>

I think we’re on a roll here… /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif
(use a thin punch...)

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ The Adapter Saga Continues #17  
I was just reading these threads and wondering if there may be a hidden roll pin driven in, and flush with the surface of the adapter. Soundguy beat me to it, but may be onto something.
This pin, if there, needs to be driven back out with a punch that just fits the hole. A make-shift punch from a drill bit the right size and ground flat on one end would also work. Wear some eye protection when doing this.

That seems to be the only thing that explains the movement you are experiencing, but not being able to slide it off with the big wrecking bar.

Hopefully this Saga doesn't continue, without a solution.

/ The Adapter Saga Continues #18  
I had an over-running clutch adaptor that had a roll pin through the PTO shaft under the "set screws".

The set screws didn't actually do anything than keep the roll pin in place.

Have you considered a sawzall /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif.

If you can move the shaft an 1/8 of an inch I would suspect something caught in the retaining groove of the PTO shaft. Have you tried rotating the shaft with your hand while pushing the adaptor back and forth? I assume you have. Good Luck.

/ The Adapter Saga Continues #19  
I don't understand what all the fuss is about... /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Why do you need the PTO anyways...? /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Really... just give us 100 good reasons to have it... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ The Adapter Saga Continues #20  
While we are awaiting the solution to the mystery, anyone want to reargue the issue of whether it is better for a backhoe to have a pto pump or be plumbed into the tractor hydraulics?