The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor.

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor.
i just found out there are 3 Montana dealers locally. I haven't really heard anything about them.

Worth a look????

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #12  
How mechanically handy are you? If you buy one of the "2d brand" tractors, being able to fix them yourself is pretty key it seems. You get what you pay for in the tractor world. People who are happy to fix and mod seem happy with Jinma et al.

How mechanically handy are you? If you buy one of the "2d brand" tractors, being able to fix them yourself is pretty key it seems. You get what you pay for in the tractor world. People who are happy to fix and mod seem happy with Jinma et al.

Would Montana fit this "et al?"

To answer your question though, I'm not incapable but it's not a hobby. I'd rather spend more money on a reliable machine with a warranty.

So we can probably stop talking Jinma and the like.......

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #14  
You will be much, much happier with HST and 4WD.

I guarantee you that if you leave them off you will miss out on most of the usefulness of the tractor.

Loader work without HST is going to leave you worn out, and will end up being a chore instead of almost fun.

Without 4WD, every time you pick something up in the loader you transfer weight off of the rear wheels, which causes loss of traction.

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #15  
One of yoour criteria was moving round bales. How big of round bales are you going to move? Weight is going to be a big factor on the size of tractor you choose. If moving hay is no longer an issue, I guess size won't matter.:) Good luck on your investigation. There is a tractor out there that is YOUR tractor.:D

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #16  
30 hp is fine for most of your chores, but not for moving round bales of hay. And while I'd definitely want the HST myself, I can understand going with a manual transmission. However, get the front end loader and 4 x 4 to start with, or you'll regret it later.

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #17  
You could use a tow-behind round bale mover and stay with a smaller tractor. I don't care how you do it, small tractor and heavy bale of hay on a slick hill can mean trouble.

You could use a tow-behind round bale mover and stay with a smaller tractor. I don't care how you do it, small tractor and heavy bale of hay on a slick hill can mean trouble.

I don't necessarily need to move them with the loader. Can't a 30hp tractor move them with the 3pt? They have around 2000lb 3pt lift capacity. I would like to be able to move them. Not stack them.

Am I looking at this wrong?

Ok some quick newbie education please.

Because it matters to my father-in-law (who may be helping finacially with purchase), who makes what engines?

JD -
Kubota -
NH -
Mahindra -
Branson -
Kioti/Bobcat -
MF -
Montana -
Any others? -

He heard International mentioned when the dealer was talking about the 4025 Mahindra and Cummings for the 3510i Branson. These brands sparked his interest but I'm not sure they are MADE by these companies or associated with them????

today:
Going to call the Kioti/Branson dealer up the road. Then get some info on Montana too.

Still no opinion on Montana. Reputation? How long have they been around. I just learned of them last night. Great! Another road to explore!

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #20  
Ok some quick newbie education please.

Because it matters to my father-in-law (who may be helping finacially with purchase), who makes what engines?

JD -
Kubota -
NH -
Mahindra -
Branson -
Kioti/Bobcat -
MF -
Montana -
Any others? -

He heard International mentioned when the dealer was talking about the 4025 Mahindra and Cummings for the 3510i Branson. These brands sparked his interest but I'm not sure they are MADE by these companies or associated with them????

today:
Going to call the Kioti/Branson dealer up the road. Then get some info on Montana too.

Still no opinion on Montana. Reputation? How long have they been around. I just learned of them last night. Great! Another road to explore!

Kubota makes their own engines.