The blurry line between CUT and UT???

/ The blurry line between CUT and UT??? #1  

gladehound

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DS4510HS, Exmark Laser Z, Kioti LB1914
A few of us were having an off topic discussion on another thread about the blurry line between Tractors that are considered CUTs vs UTs.

The manufacturers are all over the boards on what they call their tractors. Kubota calls an MX series tractor a UT, yet it is smaller than many other manufacturers CUTS. Kioti refers to their PX9020, an ~8,000 pound (just bare tractor) 90 hp beast as a compact on their web page yet this is far bigger and has far higher loader capacity than many other manufacturer's UTs.

Lots of times we will recommend a CUT or a UT but this means different things to different people. So let's hash it out. Is the CUT or UT designation determined by manufacturer, by capability, by weight, by dimensions, by 3pt category or some other means.

Let's List models and put them in categories. Maybe we can come up with a common definition for the blurry line between CUT and UT. From what I know, the blurry line now runs from a 38hp MF (which is actually heavier than higher hp MX series) to the aforementioned 90hp Kioti compact.

I'll take a crack at the Kioti line:

CUT: CK series, DS series, DKSE series, NX series, DK45
Debatable: DK55 (~5000 pounds, CAT I&II hitch, wheel size [28" rear 20" front])
UT: DK75, DK90, RX series, PX9020

/ The blurry line between CUT and UT??? #2  
I'd call my MX a CUT. FWIW

/ The blurry line between CUT and UT??? #3  
Probably one of those things that you can't define but will know when you see it.

Bruce

/ The blurry line between CUT and UT??? #4  
Probably one of those things that you can't define but will know when you see it.

Bruce

Actually I think you may not know the difference. My M4700 has been listed as a UT by Kubota before they did away with it and brought out the MX series, and TractorData lists it (and the MX) as a Utility Tractor. I think many of us, like Lukes, are borderline.

/edit - at one time I thought it was a big difference when the "about 50hp" and above did not offer HST, but now that barrier seems gone.

/ The blurry line between CUT and UT???

Bruce

So when you look at a Kioti DK55 do you know when you see it. I could argue either way on that one.

One obvious characteristic of UTs is a straight front axle rather than the portal axles on every CUT I can think of. But then there are some large UT sized tractors with portal axles like the Kioti DK90 and PX9020. Kioti calls both of these compacts but they are not even close in size to any other compact and are bigger than most UTs.

/ The blurry line between CUT and UT??? #6  
How about tires ?
Do most UT have the larger diameter tires in the front vs a CUT with the relatively small front tires ?

/ The blurry line between CUT and UT??? #7  
Compact doesn't have to dictate the actual size or weight. Most advertising executives don't use the word "small' unless it is considered an advantage.

/ The blurry line between CUT and UT??? #8  
Obviously physical size is a factor...but what difference does it make what it's called?...IMO the #1 factor for having a tractor for the terrain it is operated in is traction...without it you have nothing...!
Again IMO...unless usage is heavy ground engaging or haying applications etc... HP is not much of an issue for light tractor work...it all comes down to overall weight and tires...
Some Skid steers are no bigger than a compact tractor but weigh 4 times as much...!

/ The blurry line between CUT and UT???
Obviously physical size is a factor...but what difference does it make what it's called?...

So we know what the heck another person is trying to say when they reference CUTs or UTs.

/ The blurry line between CUT and UT??? #10  
So we know what the heck another person is trying to say when they reference CUTs or UTs.
I "window" shopped/researched tractors for years before I ever bought one...much of that window shopping/research was in the form of reading message boards like TBN etc.,etc...as well as all the other related web sites...the terms UT, CT, CUT, SCUT...never entered the picture except on message boards...I knew what I needed in a tractor shopped for and found exactly what I needed...

BTW...has there ever been a "tractor" made that could not be called a "utility" tractor ???