The box blade is king

/ The box blade is king #1  

Turfman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Having a just finished a small grading job for my sister I found that the most useful attachment to be the box blade. I was amazed how much dirt we moved around. We dropped the high spots, set the scarifers to break up the hard areas and leveled it all out in no time. When we had a pile to move we just used the back blade on the box. Set the blade down and set the position control to gather up the loose rocks and move them to the waste pile. I am very impressed with the veristility of the box blade. I've got a rear blade also, that I think I'll sell now.

Turfman

/ The box blade is king #2  
What size box blade do you have? I have a 60" on order, but used a rear tiller (60") to tear up some sod, and the FEL bucket and rear 60" blade to move and level. Now I am wondering about cancelling the box blade and getting the tiller instead. I liked the way it worked.

/ The box blade is king
It's a 60" Landpride BB1560. Ripping up sod is easy, just drop the scarifiers and make a couple of passes, clean up with the box blade and FEL. I haven't used the rear blade since getting the box blade. I would only use the rear blade for snow.

Turfman

/ The box blade is king #4  
Are you making your passes the same direction or crossing the second pass over the first?

/ The box blade is king
I am running all passes in the same direction.

/ The box blade is king #6  
Turfman,

When you use your box blade to gather rocks do you then lift up the scarifiers? I am purchasing a box blade this week and was trying to make sure that I'll get plenty of use out of it since my driveway no longer requires maintenance. Thanks.

/ The box blade is king
Generally, I lift the scarifiers up. I have a lot of grading around houses and fear that I'll hook phone and cable lines, so the scarifiers stay up, unless I have to break up some soil.

I just drop the box, set the position control and go. It picks up the rocks (loose and on the surface) quite well.

/ The box blade is king #8  
Cool, thanks!!!

I think I'll pick mine up today. I'm only worried that I'll "fill" up the box before I go but 10 feet. My land is glacial till - which translates to nothing but rocks. They range from 2 man rocks on down. Obviously I have to remove those before I start draggin the box around!!