The Car-ification of tractors

/ The Car-ification of tractors #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
I'm having a light bulb moment (epiphany? what the smart guys call it)

What follows is a post by "Rambler" (Paul) which is completely ON TARGET! thanks Paul.

Electronics & plastic will kill the current set of tractors. Metal & bearings can always be rebuilt, but once plastic molds & a new generation of electronic building blocks come out, there will be no replacements at any price for the old, & the thing is dead.

Many sub-systems will wear out, but can be replaced. Clutch easily, hydro drive will be spendy. The pto if used a lot. The hydraulics are always spendy to rework. But, all can be rebuilt & are worthwhile if the rest of the machine is solid.

What will kill a tractor mechanically is when the front wheel drive breaks. See that already with Ford 1700/ 1710 series, etc. The parts are so very expensive, or not available, that it is cheaper to buy a used working tractor & sell the broken one for scrap metal than to buy parts to repair the front axle & hubs. I believe this to be the biggest mechanical breakdown that will cause scrappage.

--->Paul

So, my question is which modern tractor has the fewest plastic, electronic parts? I hope this is an appropriate question for this forum, seemed right. Probably gonna be a gear tractor, I'd imagine.

/ The Car-ification of tractors #2  
the 50hp john deere 5103 its non-syncronized gear drive transmission, two wheel drive and the only electronics on it are the lights and gauges.

/ The Car-ification of tractors #3  
I'm with Paul. I'm "old school" when it comes to tractors. Take a look at the "00" series Mahindras. Built like the proverbial tank. Only plastic I can find are the knobs at the end of the hydraulic levers and the outer ring of the steering wheel. Front wheel drive?? Check out the Carraro front end with planetary gears at the wheel hubs on that same series. Just my $.02 worth. BobG in VA

/ The Car-ification of tractors #4  
JD 790, NH TC30 are pretty old school line of design. Not all metal, but few electronics.

How primitive do you want to get? Even 8Ns have plastic in the distributor, cap, rotor, etc.

/ The Car-ification of tractors #5  
I will tell you I'm more carefull keeping my CK30HST covered or out of the weather. Years ago you didn't have to worry as much about leaving a tractor out in the rain

/ The Car-ification of tractors #6  
That's why I bought a JD 5203--that and my wife would not let me put a FEL on her Toyota /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ The Car-ification of tractors #7  
If you want to go "primitive" check out the Chinese tractors. They have a lot of "old school" in them. Some models are pretty fancy as well.

/ The Car-ification of tractors #8  
Probably a nice steam powered tractor would be the best, but if that is not reliable enough, a good mule or ox would be the absolute most reliable and probably the best.

/ The Car-ification of tractors
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the 50hp john deere 5103 its non-syncronized gear drive transmission, two wheel drive and the only electronics on it are the lights and gauges. )</font>

OK. so go pop your hood and tell us if it's sheet metal or plastic stamped from a mold that will no longer exist in 20 years.

Look under your PTO lever and see the switch designed for this tractor that is covered by a rubber boot which will tear on you this year.

check out my other thread on maintenance notes where I describe one of my relays going out, requiring the dealer to replace ALL and i mean ALL of myrelays since they could not find the one that blew.

Your grill screens are ALREADY not available for purchase by themselves, and instead you have to buy the WHOLE PANEL assembly, either side panel or light assembly. did you know that?

/ The Car-ification of tractors
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Probably a nice steam powered tractor would be the best, but if that is not reliable enough, a good mule or ox would be the absolute most reliable and probably the best. )</font>

you can stick your head in the sand if you want, but your cute response is an attempt to minimize a valid point about tractors rolling off the design tables, and off the assembly line, far too quickly.

Why is LG getting into the tractor market? LG for goodness sake? Will Colt and Remington be next? What is happening is that manufacturers have spotted the fact that they can stamp out some plastic for pennies, not worry about testing in the field, since the modern mentality is to use then trade up for a new one, that people are moving to the country, that everyone wants a tractor, that for the next few years people will still be willing to borrow their lives away for a new shiny one and that the same sales points that work for autos will work for tractors. Why is it that you have to search for a good gear tractor when most of the salesman want to sell you a hydro?