The deal has been made, Bought our first new tractor.

/ The deal has been made, Bought our first new tractor. #21  
That is a dang fine looking tractor!

/ The deal has been made, Bought our first new tractor. #22  
Don't take rubber out of the center of the tractor. First, it will ruin resale but more as well. The center pattern is what you ride on when you are on dry ground or blacktop. If you spend time on roads, that's where your tire wear will be and what keeps the ride smooth and not "squiggly". I leave as is or trade toward the tires you want. Someone else would love them.

/ The deal has been made, Bought our first new tractor. #23  
I've run those Marathon's for over a year now. My personal opinion. They look great. Perform marginally. They will load up in mud and spin in wet grass. Great for brush hoging. They are 8 ply so a little heavier than 6 ply. They float well for finish mowing and don't tear up the yard. Overall good compromise for a 6K pound tractor with loaded rears.

/ The deal has been made, Bought our first new tractor.
I've run those Marathon's for over a year now. My personal opinion. They look great. Perform marginally. They will load up in mud and spin in wet grass. Great for brush hoging. They are 8 ply so a little heavier than 6 ply. They float well for finish mowing and don't tear up the yard. Overall good compromise for a 6K pound tractor with loaded rears.

Fronts are 10 ply, one reason I went with them with heavy loader work. I don't have near the experience with them you do but I can agree with what you've said from my limited experience (7hrs) working them. If the rears had a flatter profile like the front I think they would hook up much better, but they seemed to do everything I needed what I've done so far. I do think for some heavy ground engagement implements the R1's would definitely be the way to go for a main priority.

/ The deal has been made, Bought our first new tractor. #25  
Agreed.

I still managed to poke a hole in a rear tire when brush hogging last year. I keep plugs with me and was able to repair and make the 3 mile drive home. Got it in the shed and proceeded to plug the hole 2 more times. So far so good. I plan on patching the rear eventually.

Great idea with the plugs. I'll throw a few in my box for precaution.

I like the rear ballast the R4's added loaded also, I picked up that round bales of hay from the trailer and moved it before I added the disk harrows and it handled pretty good with that heavy grapple. So shouldn't be a problem with the hay spear and no ballast attached since the hay spear will shave off a good 500lbs compared to the grapple.

Turbys_1700, have you played with the rear air pressure any to see if it flattens the foot print on the rear? I didn't check mine to see how much they put in them from the factory and thought it may make a big difference in traction.

/ The deal has been made, Bought our first new tractor. #28  
To be honest with you I've not tweaked the air pressure on tires. I need to check them. I don't think the footprint would change that much. Those Marathon's have pretty stiff sidewalls.

Today pretty much made me feel like I made the right decision with the R4's for my use. Irma passed by today and I hopped right out on the tractor to start cleaning up the mess it left behind & did just minimal damage to the lawn. I took a video carrying some debris out on fresh new ground, doesn't show in the video but the ground was rolling under the tires. I think the wide foot print really helped. Btw, we came out with minimal damage, nothing like some, we were very fortunate.

September 11, 2017 - YouTube

Last edited:
Dealer got the tractor back today and is taking this one back and putting me in a new one. Even offered to let me change to a Kubota if I wanted, staying with the NH though. I definitely got to test the waters with my dealer through this experience and all I can say is they seem to be a stand up group and believe in taking care of their customers. I'll have my tractor next week.