The Endless Rain............

/ The Endless Rain............ #11  
It's really strange how localized the accumulations were out of this rain. Some areas in Mass reported around 14" while some reported 24" or more...

I live in the Brookfields in the hills west of Worchester and I think we got over 24".... I had 5-gallon buckets sitting on a garden wall -- not in the drip of a building or anything -- that filled with rain to overflowing....

I also had over 2 feet of water in my stone cellar. Luckily, I had nothing stored down there, and there were no electrical circuits or such down low enough to be damaged. It has almost all drained back out....

/ The Endless Rain............ #12  
You ought to try being down here in one of our Grade III or higher hurricanes, but at least we usually don't have to deal with "flowing water", nothning stands in the way of that..... Good Luck.

/ The Endless Rain............ #13  
if you look at the first picture, way out there are two kids in a canoe.. They are at the edge of "normal" reservoir level

/ The Endless Rain............ #14  
Hey Larry, I don't remember seeing any water in your backyard. When did you build the lake? My almost straight sided trash can has about 20 inches of water in it. It wasn't until Sunday night that I finally sprung a very small leak in my basement. Of course it had to be the part with a rug and pad in it.

/ The Endless Rain............
Now that the snow has ended, the rain continues. Nearly one full month of rain. The weather man say the latest Nor'easter will head out to sea from a high pushing its way east. Based on the last three or four weeks, I don't have much hope that it will. To say that this is depressing is an understatment.

Three of my best apple trees still had their leaves on them when the snow came. All three are now split in half and sprawled out on the ground like a giant fist came down and mashed them. Not a good sight out my window.

/ The Endless Rain............ #16  
So you have the endless rain and we have the endless drought. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm still not sure which is worse.

/ The Endless Rain............ #17  
The rain is worse if you are trying to dig. Up in northeast MA we have been getting the same rain JimMorrisey has been getting hit with. I spent the summer digging out a hole for the foundation for my new garage, pulled the permit, got the concrete contractor lined up, and then it started raining. The hole is now full of about a foot and half of water and it is not going down. I can see little rivulets of water flowing into the hole so I think the water table is just very high.

I had hoped to get the concrete poured and get my backfilling done before the ground froze but I have already given up on that idea. The water level in the hole has been where it is now for about a week and a half and hasn't gone down one bit. Since the nights around here are touching freezing now it is just a matter of time before the ground freezes (probably 2 to 3 weeks tops) so that is pretty much it for that project. I guess at least I know what I will be doing first thing in the spring when the ground thaws out. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ The Endless Rain............ #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So you have the endless rain and we have the endless drought. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm still not sure which is worse. )</font>
I would much prefer a drought... Remember Bird, we have rocks, boulders, and more ledge, ocassionaly punctuated with hard clay which does not perc excessive rainfall very well. Many town roads,culverts and the like are still destroyed and awaiting repairs... Too much rain is just that.... Our geological set up just can't handle 18" of rain in one month. On the other hand, we're all use to 100 inches of snow, slowly melting, which is the primary source of our aquifer levels...