The extras

/ The extras #1  

griz

Tractor
Case DX 40 8/1/03
Hello. Can anyone suggest any extras that have become very useful for them, that I might want to consider on a new tractor? Things Like filling the rear tires(or buying extra weights), tooth bar, hd bucket, etc. Also, are these better to put in the negotiation time of the dealings or buy or add them later? I will have a fel and bh on the unit. Thanks!, Griz

/ The extras #2  
Quick attach HD bucket
Quick attach plate
Quick attach pallet forks
Toothbar
Grillguard
Complete set of filters
Complete set of service and parts manuals
Hooks welded on already
Rear worklight
Tires filled
Don't get factory wheel weights - get EZWeights
Make them space out the rear tires to your specs (it's hard to change a filled tire around)
Free delivery
Negotiate a free service call/a free transportation of tractor for first warranty call

I got all of these (except the last one - I wish I had.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) I'm sure there are more.....

Mark

/ The extras #3  
Toothbar, quick-attach bucket for fel, work lights (seems like many if not most folks here install their own work lights), rear remotes, ? hd alternator for the extra lights. Thats a start. Good Luck.

Edit- I see while I was doing 1 finger typing and talking on the phone Mark gave you a much more comprehensive list before I was able to get mine entered.

/ The extras #4  
Hi Griz!

I've not bought my tractor yet (as many would be more than happy to remind me!!), but I know I'm planning on buying everything that I can afford when I buy the tractor. I think you get the best price that way because the dealer is a little more willing to "bargain" because of the quantity of things that are going out the door.

I think that's the important thing. Determine what you can afford, and then purchase whatever fits into your budget when you get the tractor. For me, I will definitely get a FEL, rotary cutter, and RFM. Now if I can afford it, I will get HD bucket with bolt on tooth bar, PHD, 3 pt weight box, carry-all, forks, and a front mount snowblower.

Good luck on your shopping! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ The extras #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also, are these better to put in the negotiation time of the dealings or buy or add them later? )</font>

If you can afford it you want to buy as many of the extras as possible right with the tractor. Your dealer will be able to give you his best prices at that time. Its also something to consider if you have more than one dealer to get quotes from. One dealer may give you better deals on the extras than another. If you are financing some or all of the tractor purchase it sure is less painful to roll all those attachments and extras into that monthly payment than it is to try and buy them outright later on down the road.

As far as what to get, its much easier to add a toothbar later than it is to change a standard bucket into a heavy duty bucket. I think the best thing to get right away is a skid steer type quick-tach connection between the FEL and the bucket. This will allow you to easily and quickly take the bucket off and put on pallet forks, etc. The reason you want to do this when you purchase the tractor is so you don't end up with a bucket that uses pins that you will have to modify to the quick-tach style.

/ The extras #6  
Toothbar? Absolutely! HD bucket? For the money difference on a new order, probably. Filling tires? Are you sure you even need or want them filled?

As to when to buy them, I'd go with the time of purchase because you're more likely to be able to get a better discount then than over the parts counter later.

/ The extras #7  
Mark,
Where do you get EZ Weights?
Thanks in advance, John

/ The extras #9  
I have a JD 4200 which, without measuring, I'll assume would be a 'medium' for EZ Weights. I would max out at 133 pounds per side with that system according to what I read at their web site. I know nothing of the capacity of my R4 tires and am wondering how that would compare with filling the tires with liquid at approximately eight pounds per gallon. I estimate the break even point would be about seventeen gallons. How does that compare with the actual tire capacity for a liquid fill?