The gully to pond project

/ The gully to pond project #11  
Great project! Is that caliche you're moving around?
I look forward to seeing the progress. Keep the pics coming!

/ The gully to pond project #12  
If you work on the project all winter. I may have a water view site to park my motorhome at. :thumbsup:

/ The gully to pond project
Looks like fun! I just looked up your location- I go that way up hw 287 to my mothers in southern Oklahoma.

As you pass from Wise Co. into Montague Co., you are just 1 mile from my house, off to the West behind the Sunset Cemetery. My road is across 287 from the Sunset RV park and about a mile back in the woods. Water draining off the Sunset RV Park eventually ends up in our soil conservation lake.:)

Great project! Is that caliche you're moving around?
I look forward to seeing the progress. Keep the pics coming!

Yep! Nothing erodes quite like caliche. My place is proof.:eek:

If you work on the project all winter. I may have a water view site to park my motorhome at. :thumbsup:

I don't know if I'll have it finished by the spring, but that first erosion swale should be filled by then. I figured you might want some stick time on the LB75.;)

/ The gully to pond project #16  
It's hard to tell from the pictures but the soil looks very sandy, will it hold water or will you have to line the pond with clay?

/ The gully to pond project #17  
Lookin' good, jinman! One of these days (years, decades...) I'd like to put in a pond. I'll be keeping up on this post for ideas:D.

I also kind of wonder about that soil holding water for long periods, but hard to tell with pictures. If you'll pay for shipping, I can send you all the Kentucky clay you want. ;)

/ The gully to pond project #18  
Great pictures and a worthy project for your new tractor!!!! Looks like fun, and I'm sure by the end of the day, you can see some serious progress.

Where will the red clay come from?

Eddie

Where will the red clay come from?

Eddie, that's a very valid concern from you and others who have asked about the sand. It turns out that I have a foot to 18" of red clay in a layer above the white sugar sand and caliche. I'll be keeping the red clay in a separate pile so I can use it to build the core of my dam. I also have a mountain of material that was dug out of my pond. I called it pond silt at the time, but it is quite water tight and I will cover the top layer of the dam with this. Where I have that pile now has sodded in solid with bermuda grass. I don't have a clue where the bermuda came from. It just appeared and covered the silt. If I can get it to cover the dam in the same way and timeframe, I'll be one very happy guy.

/ The gully to pond project #20  
Looks good :thumbsup:

After reading this I think I may just go work on my own pond :laughing: