The Handiest Thing I ever Built (Manlift)

/ The Handiest Thing I ever Built (Manlift) #11  
Nice job, well done!! But I don 't see the rope for the operator controls. :D

/ The Handiest Thing I ever Built (Manlift) #12  
yzbdsbp said:
I didnt build the trusses myself but I did design them from alot I have seen. Then I had a local guy weld them up fo me. He did a great job....just what i asked for they are very strong, but no I am not in a snow belt....Im in Mississippi. Im starting phase 2 today building a 12' lean to on both sides.

Where in Mississippi, I'm in Brandon.

/ The Handiest Thing I ever Built (Manlift)
daBear said:
Where in Mississippi, I'm in Brandon.

Just outside of Hattiesburg......:D

/ The Handiest Thing I ever Built (Manlift) #14  
Fancy, and looks very well built. What does it weigh? Do you use a box blade or similar to counterbalance the "manlift" and man? Attached is something I've used for 5 years, made of treated 2X6s and 2X4s, with a 3/4" plywood floor. It's held to the bucket with 2 sets of 3/4" bolts, one hole for which is identical to that for the toothbar attachment. I use the contraption for access for trimming trees, pressure washing the second story, and such. Any idiot (that's me) can build one of these things, quickly, and it has so far been solid - I stress it, and examine the wood a couple of times a year.

Attachments

• FELattachsmall.jpg
    FELattachsmall.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,502
   / The Handiest Thing I ever Built (Manlift) #15  
I used a barrel to make my manlift. It remains to be tested.
Treetrimmingbucket.jpg
[/IMG]

/ The Handiest Thing I ever Built (Manlift) #16  
I like them both. I don't have a QA bucket, so I think I'll make one out of wood like yours.

/ The Handiest Thing I ever Built (Manlift) #17  
Hey, I made one to. Don't have pictures. But as usual, I made it so heavy the tractor wouldn't pick it up. :) You could, however, run a semi over it and not hurt it!

I tend to WAY overbuild.

It's 2 1/2" schedule 80 pipe, made really tall so the feet would actually be just a few feet off the ground. (Can't fall very far.)

Like the backhoe thumb I just made. What a monstrosity!

Oh yeah, put a sliding box on it to hold stuff..

Yeah I have made a drill holder an other things so that when Im in the air I have a place to put my tools (it just hooks over the rails) and I dont have to bend over, everything is at my finger tips. A friend of mine got me a didde bag to hang over the rail and I can keep screws or nails stuff like that in there. I also built some forks to bolt to the front of the basket......this is how I set the trusses for my pole barn. Another friend of mine is very good at operating he drives me around and we can fix anything up to about 15 or so feet off the ground....we build alot of deer stands to...this is great for stuff like that. Its Endless What you can do with it. I will try to post a picture of the truss forks we built and how we used them. It worked perfect. We actually mounted the mig welder to the basket and welded the "C" Channel Perlins to the trusses on the barn....it was so easy with this.:)

It really doesnt weigh as much as you think it would, the heaviest things were the 4" "C" channel I just for the forks to slide into.

/ The Handiest Thing I ever Built (Manlift) #19  
charlie C said:
I used a barrel to make my manlift. It remains to be tested

Hmmm, not me. :D :D I'll drive though!! :D :D Is that strap the only thing holding it on.

cisco said:
Do you use a box blade or similar to counterbalance the "manlift" and man?

I do use a counter balance (grader or box blade usually)just to make it more stable.....Its actually very stable.