The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #621  
“Got the Call” today.
The call that says “I’m sorry to bother you on Christmas Eve, but we’re out of hay”.

So off I go to deliver a bale to a customer’s hay hut on Christmas Eve afternoon/ Sunday.

View attachment 840345

View attachment 840338

To the near left you can see the East Penn railroad “split”. The branch I’m crossing in the next picture goes to a terminal in Nottingham, PA. Home of Herr’s Potato Chips & foods.
The branch in the middle goes to Wilmington, DE.
To the far left is the old stone piers and steel girders crossing the lowlands. It’s been out of service since the early 80’s. It went to Wawa, PA.

Crossing the branch to Nottingham.

View attachment 840339

OK so you MUST go to a nice bar on the Hillsborough River called “Ulele”.
If you like beer, you got to try the “wedding beer” they brew there.
One of the best beers I have ever had! Great steak, too!

I loved it there
HayDude, Like the others I love seeing your pictures and explanations of the area!! You must have felt like Santa bringing a gift of food to those hungry animals, and I'm sure they left you some round, hard cookies - which I hope you "didn't" eat! Hope you got back in time to enjoy your X-mas eve.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor
HayDude, Like the others I love seeing your pictures and explanations of the area!! You must have felt like Santa bringing a gift of food to those hungry animals, and I'm sure they left you some round, hard cookies - which I hope you "didn't" eat! Hope you got back in time to enjoy your X-mas eve.
Hey that’s mighty nice of you! I think?? 🤔
It’s nice to have several customers to supply hay to. Took a while to establish myself and get rid of the BS callers. Now I only sell delivered hay.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #623  
Hey that’s mighty nice of you! I think?? 🤔
It’s nice to have several customers to supply hay to. Took a while to establish myself and get rid of the BS callers. Now I only sell delivered hay.
I hope you "do" realize I was only joking about the cookies!?

After snow & winter rains & soggy ground, I am back to a new year of custom mowing.
Today I got started on about 60 acres of tall & dead grasses owned by a Conservancy. They want it to grow wild all spring/summer/fall/winter then cut it in February/March.

Don’t ask me why. I have enough insanity in my life to ask other people about their insanities.

Been doing this parcel for 12+ years. Shame they won’t let me hay it. Was hayed from since the area was settled in the late 1600’s until the early 2000’s. Then the greenies in took it out of hay and decided to mow it. Crazy, I know.

Rail line (in woods to the left) came through in 1901. Abandoned 1972 (Hurricane Agnes did the tracks in for good about 4 miles east. Never rebuilt. Completely undamaged in my area). One of the most beautiful railroads you’ll ever see. :(

Power lines came through in 1970.

Tree tubes (little white things on right edge of field) planted about 10 years ago-most are dead. lol

1710552535777.jpeg

1710552584043.jpeg

I guess it’s just about time for Mowing-2024!

Last edited:
   / The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #625  
After snow & winter rains & soggy ground, I am back to a new year of custom mowing.
Today I got started on about 60 acres of tall & dead grasses owned by a Conservancy. They want it to grow wild all spring/summer/fall/winter then cut it in February/March.

Don’t ask me why. I have enough insanity in my life to ask other people about their insanities.

Been doing this parcel for 12+ years. Shame they won’t let me hay it. Was hayed from since the area was settled in the late 1600’s until the early 2000’s. Then the greenies in took it out of hay and decided to mow it. Crazy, I know.

Rail line (in woods to the left) came through in 1901. Abandoned 1972 (Hurricane Agnes did the tracks in for good about 4 miles east. Never rebuilt. Completely undamaged in my area). One of the most beautiful railroads you’ll ever see. :(

Power lines came through in 1970.

Tree tubes (little white things on right edge of field) planted about 10 years ago-most are dead. lol

View attachment 857397

View attachment 857399

I guess it’s just about time for Mowing-2024!
You are spot on HD, that would make a nice hay field.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #626  
Hay Dude, the dead grass will provide winter cover and shelter to wildlife. Also reason for mowing this late may be to stimulate spring growth. Some types of grass grow better if the dead grass is cut, so the argument goes.
Is there much forest around there or is this feild on a wildlife inter forest "road"?

Hay Dude, the dead grass will provide winter cover and shelter to wildlife. Also reason for mowing this late may be to stimulate spring growth. Some types of grass grow better if the dead grass is cut, so the argument goes.
Is there much forest around there or is this feild on a wildlife inter forest "road"?

There’s already a lot of cover for wildlife in the area.
Honestly I think they leave the grass tall all year because there’s a walking trail cut through it and the people who walk the trail think its cool to have tall grass on either side.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #630  
They sound like a great customer and if they wanted me to wear sneakers and a tin foil hat while working there, that would be me!
Being "fed" steady work and not having to chase your money, close to your location and (from the sounds of it) have a 2 way trusting relationship, that's a winner all day long!👍